IOC holds surprise minute of silence for 1972 Munich massacre

Click photo to download. Caption: The logo of the 2012 London Olympics. Credit: 2012 London Olympics.( The International Olympic Committee (IOC) held a minute of silence in the London Olympic village Monday to mark the 40th anniversary of the Palestinian terrorist group Black September’s murder of 11 Israeli team members at the 1972 Munich Games.

“The 11 victims of the Munich tragedy... came to Munich in the spirit of peace and solidarity. We owe it to them to keep that spirit alive and to remember them... As the event of 40 years ago reminds us, sport is not immune from, and cannot cure, all the ills of the world,” said IOC President Jacques Rogge, according to the Jerusalem Post.

The impromptu minute of silence was a surprise because Rogge had previously said the Munich massacre would not be commemorated at this summer’s London Games. Changing course, Rogge said Monday that the 11 victims deserved to be remembered.

This is the first time that the IOC has marked the massacre in an Olympic village. Sebastian Coe, chairman of the London Olympics organizing committee, London Mayor Boris Johnson, Culture Secretary Jeremy Hunt and several other IOC officials attended the commemoration.

Posted on July 23, 2012 .