Bulgarian government denies Hezbollah link to terror attack against Israelis

(JNS.org) The Bulgarian government and media have denied any Hezbollah link to the terrorist attack against Israeli tourists at the Black Sea resort of Burgas last summer that left five Israelis and one Bulgarian dead. A January 17 report broadcast on Israel’s Channel 2, however, stated that an investigation had concluded Hezbollah was involved in the attack.

The Bulgarian Foreign Ministry denied the Israeli TV report linking Hezbollah to the Burgas attack. A report in the Bulgarian media also said that there is no evidence of Hezbollah’s involvement and added that the suspected bomber had ties to al-Qaeda, the Jerusalem Post reported.

Earlier in the week, Bulgarian Foreign Minister Nikolai Mladenov visited Israel to brief Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and President Shimon Peres on the investigation.  Officials have remained quiet on the details of the briefing.

Bulgaria has said that the bombing was perpetrated by outsiders but has yet to publish the full findings of its investigation. Israeli and American officials suspect Hezbollah’s involvement in the attack. The two countries have also been lobbying the EU to designate Hezbollah as a terrorist organization and impose sanctions on the group.  

Posted on January 18, 2013 .