Palestinians continue to reject Kerry’s peace proposals, including $4 billion for economic growth

( Following U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry’s fourth visit to the Middle East in four months in an effort to revive Israeli-Palestinian peace negotiations, Palestinian officials continue to reject Kerry’s proposals.

Click photo to download. Caption: U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry, who has already visited the Middle East four times since being named to his new post in February in an attempt to revive Israeli-Palestinian negotiations, meets with Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas in Ramallah on May 23, 2013. Credit: State Department.

Last week, Palestinian negotiator Nabil Sha’ath rejected “exploratory” talks with Israel involving Jordan as a third party.

“We tried such talks in the past and they we won’t go in this direction again because the negotiations failed,” Sha’ath told the Palestinian Authority’s (PA) Voice of Palestine radio station, the Jerusalem Post reported.

Reacting to Kerry’s idea that spurring Palestinian economic growth with up to $4 billion in private investment would improve prospects for peace, PA President Mahmoud Abbas’s economic adviser, Mohammad Mustafa, said, “The Palestinian leadership will not offer political concessions in exchange for economic benefits,” the Times of Israel reported. Kerry’s economic proposal did not identity where the money for the Palestinians would come from.

Posted on May 29, 2013 .