Hamas man released in Shalit deal masterminds more kidnappings from Qatar

(JNS.org) The Israel Security Agency (Shin Bet) revealed Monday that a Hamas operative from the West Bank was arrested last month on suspicion of planning kidnapping and shooting attacks against Israelis.

Gilad Shalit upon his return to Israel. Palestinian prisoners released in the deal continue to return to terrorism, the Shin Bet said. Credit: IDF.

The detained man, Bakr Sa’ad, a 26-year-old resident of Mazraa Sharqiya near Ramallah, allegedly met in Jordan in April with Hesham Ibrahim Hijaz, a convicted Hamas terrorist who was released as part of the Gilad Shalit swap deal in 2011 and deported abroad. Hijaz was originally from Mazraa Sharqiya himself and currently lives in Qatar. Before his release, Hijaz had been serving 10 life sentences for being part of a terrorist cell that carried out attacks between 2001 and 2003 in which 10 Israelis were killed.

According to the security agency, during the meeting in Jordan, Sa’ad agreed to carry out shooting and kidnapping attacks against Israeli settlers and soldiers in Judea and Samaria.

The agency said this case was further evidence of the trend of Hamas terrorists released in the Shalit deal, particularly those who were deported abroad, returning to terrorist activities.

Posted on June 4, 2013 .