(JNS.org) Nabil Abu Rudeineh, a spokesman for
Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas, said that the Palestinians are
maintaining their preconditions to starting peace talks with Israel.
Despite U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry’s announcement last Friday that an agreement that “establishes a basis for resuming direct final status negotiations between the Palestinians and the Israelis” had been reached, Abu Rudeineh said Sunday that the Palestinian preconditions to talks—that Israel both make its pre-1967 lines the baseline for negotiations and halt construction beyond those lines—remain, Israel Hayom reported.
Senior Fatah official Nabil Shaath echoed Abu Rudeineh’s comments.
“Returning back to negotiations depends on two steps we asked the American side to agree on,” Shaath told Ma’an News Agency, without identifying what those steps are.
“We will not go back to negotiations unless we get what we asked for,” Shaath said.
The first phase of negotiations, for which a specific date has not yet been set, will take place in Washington, DC, and involve Israeli Justice Minister Tzipi Livni, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s special envoy Yitzhak Molcho, and Palestinian negotiator Saeb Erekat.