(JNS.org) At least 60 rockets were fired at southern Israel on Wednesday by the Palestinian terrorist group Islamic Jihad, in the largest Gaza rocket attack on the Jewish state since Operation Pillar of Defense in November 2012.
“Code red” sirens sounded in Israeli communities where children were heading home from school.
“This is the biggest attack on Israel since the 2012 Operation Pillar of Defense,” the Israel Defense Forces said on Twitter.
The IDF responded to the rocket barrage by bombing 29 terror targets in Gaza.
While most of the Palestinian rockets were reported to have fallen in open areas, at least one hit a residential area in Sderot, the Israeli police said. There were no casualties reported.
The IDF reported that the Iron Dome missile defense system intercepted three of the rockets.
Islamic Jihad claimed responsibility for the attacks, saying its “response has begun to the crimes of the occupation, the latest of which was the killing of three members” of the group during an airstrike on Tuesday, Ma’an News Agency reported.
Commenting on the rocket barrage through his spokesman Ofir Gendelman’s Twitter account, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said, “We will continue to strike those who want to harm us, we’ll act against them very forcefully.”
Last week the Israeli navy intercepted an arms shipment by Iran that was bound for Gaza. Israeli experts believe that Islamic Jihad was one of the intended recipients.