Israel accepts new ceasefire proposal, despite continued rocket attacks

( The Israeli government has accepted another 72-hour ceasefire despite heavy rocket fire from Gaza on Sunday. 

Israel agrees to another 72-hour ceasefire. despite heavy rocket fire on Israel on Sunday. Credit: Israel Defense Forces. 

The Israeli government said in a statement that it accepted the Egyptian brokered ceasefire that will take effect at midnight local time. The head of the Palestinian delegation in Cairo, Azzam al-Ahmed, said that all the Palestinian factions, including Hamas and Islamic Jihad, had also accepted the ceasefire, the New York Times reported.

According to a statement from the Egyptian government, the ceasefire will allow for the flow of humanitarian aid into Gaza as well as the resumption of negotiations for a permanent ceasefire.

However, Israeli Economics Minister Naftali Bennett said that he disagreed with Israel's acceptance of another 72-hour ceasefire, saying that he prefers to negotiate a longer-term truce.

“Every limited ceasefire gives Hamas motivation to renew the fire at the end of the predetermined period,” Bennett said, Walla reported.

Just minutes before the ceasefire was scheduled to go into effect, rocket fire could be heard throughout southern Israel as well as over the greater Tel Aviv area.

If the ceasefire holds, Israeli diplomats said they will return to Cairo on Monday to continue negotiations.

Hamas refused to renew a previous 72-hour ceasefire last week and resumed rocket fire two hours before the ceasefire was set to expire last Friday. 

Posted on August 10, 2014 .