Hamas holds ‘victory’ celebrations after cease-fire

The Hamas flag. Credit: Wikimedia Commons.

(JNS.org) Hamas leaders emerged from their underground bunkers on Tuesday evening after some 50 days in hiding to celebrate what they called a victory over Israel with Gaza’s residents.

“We destroyed Israel’s power of deterrence—we shattered the myth of the invincible army,” said Hamas spokesman Sami Abu Zuhri at a press conference held outside Gaza’s Shifa Hospital, where senior Hamas officials had been hiding underground during the conflict, according to Israel Hayom.

Abu Zuhri said residents of Israel’s Gaza border-area communities “can return to their homes because that is what Hamas decided.”

Hamas leader Mahmoud al-Zahar was among the officials who left the bunkers following the cease-fire agreement, and joined Gazans in their celebrations, making the victory sign with his hands.

“We defeated the Zionists,” he said. “Gaza will get a seaport and an airport and the blockade will be lifted completely.”

Posted on August 27, 2014 .