(Israel Hayom/Exclusive to JNS.org) Three rockets were fired at Israel from southern Lebanon on Sunday, a day after notorious Hezbollah terrorist Samir Kuntar was killed in an airstrike near Damascus. The strike has been attributed to Israel by foreign media as well as by Hezbollah, which vowed to avenge the killing, but Israeli officials have neither confirmed nor denied the reports.
The Israel Defense Forces responded to Sunday's rocket attacks with targeted artillery fire, Israeli officials said.
Residents of northern Israeli towns were not surprised to hear sirens wailing throughout their communities Sunday, as they had been bracing for retaliatory Hezbollah fire since news of Kuntar's assassination broke.
The military said it "holds the Lebanese Army solely responsible for attacks emanating from its territory, and will continue to take action against any attempt to undermine the sovereignty of the State of Israel or compromise the safety of its citizens."
Lebanese security officials said the rockets were fired from an area south of the Lebanese port city of Tyre.
IDF Chief of Staff Lt. Gen. Gadi Eizenkot convened an emergency situation assessment on Sunday over Hezbollah's potential retaliation. Israeli officials voiced hopes that the rocket fire and the Israeli response would signify the end of the aftermath of Kuntar's death, but defense figures stressed that Israel was bracing for the possibility of escalation along the northern border.