(JNS.org) Three attacks by Islamist terrorists killed at least 60 people around the world on Friday.
In France, terrorists attacked a U.S.-owned chemical plant near Lyon, which they tried to blow up but failed to do, leaving behind a beheaded body with the severed head pinned to the gate and covered with Arabic writing.
In Tunisia, at least one gunman opened fire at a beach resort, killing at least 37 people, the majority of whom were tourists. He was later shot to death by authorities. In Kuwait, a suicide bomber affiliated with the Islamic State terror group blew himself up in one of the largest Shiite mosques in Kuwait City during Friday prayers. At least 27 people were killed in the explosion, according to reports.
“It appears to be an effort to launch and inspire a wave of attacks across three continents, reminiscent of Al-Qaeda’s simultaneous multiple attacks of the past,” said Bruce O. Riedel, a former CIA officer and a counterterrorism expert at the Brookings Institution think tank, reported the New York Times.
While Col. Steve Warren, a U.S. Pentagon spokesman, warned that “it’s too soon to know whether these attacks were all coordinated or whether they were all just completely separate,” the Islamic State terror group issued a call for global jihad in an audio message earlier this week.
“O mujahedeen everywhere, rush and go to make Ramadan a month of disasters for the infidels,” the message said.