(JNS.org) Two Israelis were killed and seven were wounded in a shooting near the Dizengoff Center Mall in Tel Aviv on Friday, marking the latest deadly attack during the ongoing Palestinian terror wave in the Jewish state.
The suspected attacker was identified as Nashat Milhem, a 31-year-old Arab Israeli citizen from a village near Haifa who was motivated by radical Islamist incitement. Alon Bakal, 26, and Shimon Ruimi, 30, were killed. One eyewitness said that at the “Simta” bar on Tel Aviv’s popular Dizengoff Street, the shooter “appeared in the doorway, smiling, and opened fire,” the Times of Israel reported.
According to the Magen David Adom emergency response group, seven of the wounded individuals were evacuated from the scene at Simta, with one in critical condition, three in severe condition, and three in moderate condition.
“What I know is that an individual came here and opened fire,” Tel Aviv Mayor Ron Huldai said, the Jerusalem Post reported. “This appears to be motivated by nationalism. Tel Aviv has been a target in the past, and here it is rearing its ugly head again.”
A surveillance camera captured the gunman calmly buying vegetables in a market just moments before he opened fire with a semiautomatic rifle at the bar next door.
“Given the descriptions so far of what happened, this has all the appearances of a terrorist assault,” American Jewish Committee Executive Director David Harris said in a statement on Friday. “If so, it would follow the spree of brutal attacks on Israelis in recent months, including knife attacks and car rammings.”