Bulgaria putting suspected Burgas attack accomplices on trial in absentia



Bulgarian President Rosen Plevneliev. Credit: Wikimedia Commons.

(JNS.org) Bulgarian President Rosen Plevneliev said Thursday that two alleged accomplices in the murder of Israeli tourists at Bulgaria’s Burgas airport in 2012 will be put on trial in absentia in the coming days.

Five Israeli tourists and a Bulgarian bus driver were killed in the bombing terror attack. Thirty other tourists were injured. The Bulgarian government said that the Lebanese terror group Hezbollah is to blame for the attack, but Hezbollah has denied any involvement. 

Bulgarian investigators have identified the two suspected accomplices as Meliad Farah and Hassan El Hajj, Australian and Canadian citizens of Lebanese descent. Their location is unknown. Bulgaria also identified Mohamad Hassan El Husseini, a dual Lebanese-French citizen, as the bomber; he was killed in the the attack.

"None of us will rest until the people who committed the attack, as well as those who organized it, are brought to court. This will in fact be very soon...It is a matter of days," Plevneliev said in a news conference in Sofia, Bulgaria, after meeting with Israeli President Reuven Rivlin, who is visiting the country. 

Earlier on Wednesday, the Bulgarian government approved draft legislation that will allow security agencies to curb civli liberties in terrorism-related emergencies, Reuters reported.

Posted on July 7, 2016 .