UN approves funding of ‘blacklist’ plan for Israeli companies

 

 

The row of flags of United Nations member countries in front of the U.N. General Assembly building in New York City. Credit: Yerpo via Wikimedia Commons.

(JNS.org) Following last month’s controversial vote by the United Nations Security Council that called for Israel to halt settlement construction, the U.N. General Assembly approved a budget of $138,700 to fund the compilation of a first-ever blacklist of private Israeli companies doing business in the disputed territories. 

According to reports, the funding, which was mandated by the U.N. Human Rights Council last March, would be used to “investigate the implications of the Israeli settlements on the civil, political, economic, social and cultural rights of the Palestinian people throughout the Occupied Palestinian Territory” and would “produce a database of all business enterprises” that work in those territories, including eastern Jerusalem.

“The types of data they are talking about acquiring would be to form the basis for future sanctions against companies that did business on the West Bank,” former U.S. Ambassador to the U.N. John Bolton told Fox News. “That’s the only purpose of it that I can see.”

The General Assembly measure passed despite opposition from the U.S., which had abstained from December’s Security Council vote against Israeli settlements, allowing the resolution to pass. The U.S. said it would “strongly oppose” any additional measures by the U.N. on the blacklist issue.

“We will continue to strongly oppose, in close coordination with Israel, any additional measures related to this one-sided effort if they arise moving forward,” U.S. Ambassador to the U.N. Samantha Power told Fox News. 

Posted on January 4, 2017 .