(JNS.org) While attending the Arab League Summit in Jordan, Palestinian Authority (PA) President Mahmoud Abbas vehemently denied speculation regarding the possibility of the Palestinian leadership presenting a new peace plan.
“There are no new peace plans or initiatives,” Abbas said in interview published Wednesday by the Jordanian daily newspaper Al Ghad.
Senior Palestinian officials, including Ahmad Majdalani and PLO Executive Committee Secretary General Saeb Erekat, concurred with Abbas, denying the possibility of a new peace plan.
“As we have in the past, we support the Arab Peace Initiative as a resolution to the conflict. We have no new plan,” Majdalani said, The Jerusalem Post reported.
In spite of the Palestinian officials’ comments, Arab League Secretary General Ahmad Abul Gheit told Arab media the Palestinians had “promised to present a new plan” at the summit.
Abbas’s latest remarks contrast with those he made following a recent meeting with President Donald Trump’s special representative for international negotiations, Jason Greenblatt, earlier this month in Ramallah. The PA leader’s office had released a statement after the meeting expressing how Abbas believes “that under President Trump’s leadership, a historic peace deal is possible.”