(May 7, 2019 / JNS) Iran’s Foreign Ministry is expected to announce “diminishing commitments” to the 2015 nuclear accord in the form of the country’s president, Hassan Rouhani, sending a letter to the envoys of the agreement’s five remaining signees, reported Reuters on Tuesday, citing Iranian state media.
“On Wednesday, Iran will announce its decision to diminish its commitments to the (nuclear deal) … after the unilateral U.S. withdrawal,” said the state news agency IRNA, which specified that Iran is not withdrawing from the agreement altogether.
The move would come on the eve of the anniversary of last May’s withdrawal from the deal by the Trump administration.
The upcoming Iranian announcement comes as the United States said on Sunday that it is sending an aircraft strike group to the Middle East amid “troubling and escalatory indications and warnings” from Tehran, an accusation ridiculed on Tuesday by Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif.
The #B_Team is at it again: From announcements of naval movements (that actually occurred last month) to dire warnings about so-called “Iranian threats”.
If US and clients don’t feel safe, it’s because they’re despised by the people of the region— blaming Iran won’t reverse that. pic.twitter.com/AZmHbJKOch
— Javad Zarif (@JZarif) May 7, 2019