This 2024 - Let's Win the Battle of Headlines
update deskIsrael-Palestinian Conflict

IDF kills two Palestinian gunmen during Jericho raid

The terrorists died during an exchange of fire with Israeli troops operating in the Aqbat Jabr camp.

Israeli forces conducting overnight counterterror activities in Judea and Samaria. Credit: IDF
Israeli forces conducting overnight counterterror activities in Judea and Samaria. Credit: IDF

Two Palestinian terrorists were killed on Tuesday during an exchange of fire with Israeli forces near Jericho in the Jordan Valley.

The firefight broke out during an early morning Israeli arrest raid in the Aqbat Jabr camp, located southwest of Jericho.

The IDF said in a statement on Tuesday that “during the activity in the camp, suspects fired toward the Israel Border Police, who responded with live fire. Hits were identified.”

Palestinian sources identified the two fatalities as Kosai Amr Alwalji, 16, and Mohammad Rabhi Najum, 25.

They were both reportedly affiliated with the Palestinian Islamic Jihad terrorist group.

Until two years ago, Najum worked as a lifeguard at Kibbutz Kalya, which is located near the northwestern shores of the Dead Sea next to Qumran National Park. He was fired after arousing the suspicion of the security coordinator of the kibbutz, HaKol HaYehudi (Jewish Voice) reported.

“Two young men were rushed to the hospital with bullets in their chests,” the Jericho Hospital’s director told the Reuters news agency.

Residents told the news agency that the raid lasted less than an hour.

Israeli forces arrested the target of the raid, Muhammad Nasr Abu al-Asal, 20, at his home, according to Ynet News, which cited the director of the Palestinian Prisoners’ Club in Jericho, Eid Brahma.

Arrests were made and weapons were confiscated during overnight counterterror operations throughout Judea and Samaria, the army said.

In addition to the suspect arrested in the Aqbat Jabr camp, another suspect was arrested in the town of Ein as-Sultan, also near Jericho. Clashes also erupted during the Ein as-Sultan operation during which Israeli troops were attacked with firebombs and responded with .22 caliber rounds.

Three suspects were arrested in Silwad, northeast of Ramallah, and Israeli forces confiscated two airsoft guns, a handgun and an M-16 rifle. The Israeli troops were stoned as they withdrew following the arrest, according to the IDF.

Three additional suspects were arrested in Burqa near Nablus and in Hebron. Israeli forces were stoned in Yatta, near Hebron, as well, and responded with riot dispersal methods.

No Israeli casualties were reported during any of the operations.

You have read 3 articles this month.
Register to receive full access to JNS.

Just before you scroll on...

Israel is at war.

JNS is combating the stream of misinformation on Israel with real, honest and factual reporting. In order to deliver this in-depth, unbiased coverage of Israel and the Jewish world, we rely on readers like you.

The support you provide allows our journalists to deliver the truth, free from bias and hidden agendas. Can we count on your support?

Every contribution, big or small, helps remain a trusted source of news you can rely on.

Become a part of our mission by donating today
Thank you. You are a loyal JNS Reader.
You have read more than 10 articles this month.
Please register for full access to continue reading and post comments.
Never miss a thing
Get the best stories faster with JNS breaking news updates