It’s September, and the holidays are around the corner. The question on many minds is what to serve, especially when family and friends are bound to have different diet restrictions.
Enter the new Gluten Free Easy‚ and do your happy dance in the freezer aisle! That’s because there’s a new frozen pastry in town, and it’s making the gluten-free lifestyle easier and more delicious than ever.
These doughs are ready to thaw, fill and bake whenever the craving for fresh-baked meals and desserts strikes. Go sweet or go savory—the sky’s the limit. Think of it as a tasty canvas for homemade creations everyone can enjoy for the High Holidays and beyond. And best of all, these gourmet doughs go from freezer to fantastic in no time.
For the Jewish holidays, it’s traditional to serve up symbolic foods that signify hope for a sweet and plentiful new year, including leeks, pomegranates, squashes, dates, apples, beets, honey and fish.
Gluten Free Easy offers these sweet and savory recipes to delight your family and guests, who probably won’t know they are gluten-free.
Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Cream Horns (Pareve)
• Gluten Free Easy Puff Pastry Sheet
• dairy-free butter
• 1 egg
• 1 tsp. dairy-free milk
• finishing sugar crystals
• cream filling of choice
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Cut puff pastry into half-inch-wide strips.
3. Brush softened butter onto the cream horn molds, starting at the point of the mold. Wrap the puff pastry strip in a spiraling fashion while overlapping slightly.
4. Mix egg and dairy-free milk until combined.
5. Brush the spiraled puff pastry with the egg wash. Sprinkle with finishing sugar.
6. Arrange on the baking sheet and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
7. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
8. Cool completely and carefully remove from the mold.
9. Fill with your favorite nondairy filling.
Recipe Credit: GF DAVE (Dave Stubler)
Gluten-Free Leek Puff-Pastry Tart (Dairy or Pareve)
• 1 package Gluten Free Easy Puff Pastry Sheet, thawed according to package instructions
• 2 large leeks, washed and thinly sliced
• 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter or vegan butter
• 1 Tbsp. olive oil
• 1 Tbsp. honey
• 2 tsp. Dijon mustard
• salt and pepper, to taste
• 1 egg beaten, mixed with a drizzle of honey for egg wash
• fresh thyme leaves (for garnish)
1. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
2. Melt the butter in the microwave, and add the olive oil, mustard, honey and seasonings.
3. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper. Toss the sliced leeks in the butter mixture and transfer neatly to the sheet pan to roast for about 15 minutes.
4. While that’s roasting, dust your work surface with a few tablespoons of cornstarch. Roll out the thawed puff pastry to a large rectangle and transfer it onto another parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
5. Using a pairing knife, score a border about 1 inch from the edge of the pastry, but make sure not to cut through completely.
6. When the leeks are finished roasting and slightly cooked, spread them within the scored border on the puff pastry.
7. Brush the edges of the pastry with the egg wash mixture.
8. Bake the tart for about 20-25 minutes, or until the puff pastry is golden and puffed up.
9. Once the tart is done baking and slightly cooled, garnish the with fresh thyme leaves, and drizzle with a little more honey and sea salt.
LINK TO RECIPES:
About Gluten Free Easy
Gluten Free Easy is the brainchild of two women who want to bring the joy of baking and eating back to those who avoid gluten but miss the satisfying taste of “real” bread and pastries. They don’t stop developing their recipes until their blind taste testers—who aren’t gluten-free—can’t tell the difference between traditional and gluten-free dough. Some say it’s even better!
The Gluten Free Easy line includes Puff Pastry Squares (12/pk, MSRP $14-17), Puff Pastry Sheets (1/pk, MSRP $14-17), Pita (4/pk, MSRP $12-16), and Pizza (12/pk, MSRP $12-16). Gluten free Easy is certified woman owned. All products are also certified gluten-free, dairy-free, soy free, and certified Kosher (Kok-K and Babad certifications). All but the pita dough is vegan. And all are out-of-this-world delicious. Follow them at: https://www.instagram.com/glutenfree_easy,
Gluten Free Easy products are available at: https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/oz1vgsgoprynuuvyljjpk/Retail-outlets-EASY-GLUTEN-FREE.docx?rlkey=hke41j0shxf95vve7waul5clb&dl=0