Newsletter
Newsletter Support JNS

Egypt to pay $500 million fine for breaking gas deal with Israel

A settlement deal reached between Egypt’s Petroleum Ministry and the Israel Electric Corporation reduces an original $1.7 billion fine.

Workers on the Israeli Tamar gas-processing rig some 15 miles off the Israeli southern coast of Ashkelon. Noble Energy and Delek are the main partners in the gas field, June 23, 2014. Photo by Moshe Shai/Flash90.
Workers on the Israeli Tamar gas-processing rig some 15 miles off the Israeli southern coast of Ashkelon. Noble Energy and Delek are the main partners in the gas field, June 23, 2014. Photo by Moshe Shai/Flash90.

Egypt reached a settlement with Israel on Sunday to pay the Israel Electric Corporation $500 million over the next eight-and-a-half years after breaking an agreement to deliver natural gas to the Jewish state in 2012.

The gas supply deal was announced under Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak in 2005, and the opening of the pipeline between the countries took place in 2008, but was unpopular with the Egyptian public.

Moreover, the gas line became a target for terrorists, being blown up three times in 2011—the same year of the Arab Spring and the year that Mubarak was deposed. The delivery process subsequently broke down.

According to Egypt’s Petroleum Ministry, the $500 million fine is down from an original $1.7 billion. In return, the Israeli corporation will drop its other claims from a 2015 arbitration decision by the International Chamber of Commerce.

Last year, U.S.-Israeli gas consortium Noble Energy, together with its Israeli partner Delek and Egyptian East Gas Company, announced a $15 billion deal in which Israel will export natural gas it discovered off its coast in the Tamar and Leviathan deep-water reservoirs to Egypt.

This marks the first time Egypt has imported gas from Israel.

NYPD said the investigation into the death of Albert Itzkowitz, 75, a former Hatzolah volunteer and kosher bakery owner, remains ongoing and that no arrests have been made.
“At a time when Jewish Americans are facing a deeply troubling rise in violence and harassment, it is critical to recognize organizations that have spent generations standing up to hate and defending the truth,” Rep. Frank Pallone Jr. said.
Rabbi Jason Rosner, of Congregation B’nai Emet, told JNS that “we are prepared to evacuate our Torahs if necessary.”
The PAC’s co-chairs stated that Ammar Campa-Najjar is “the only candidate campaigning on a progressive agenda in this race.”
“This settlement reaffirms a basic principle, which is that American law cannot tolerate taxpayer dollars flowing to a system that rewards terrorism,” Mark Goldfeder, CEO and director of the National Jewish Advocacy Center, told JNS.
The International Roundnet Federation no longer plans to bar the team from displaying an Israeli flag or symbols at the championships but warned that further accusations of antisemitism might lead to legal action.