Israeli air defense systems were activated in southern Israel on Thursday night, the military said, as sirens blared near the city of Netivot.
The IDF was probing the cause of the alarms, IDF Spokesperson Rear Adm. Daniel Hagari wrote in a post to X.
Hagari confirmed that an interceptor missile was launched “following the identification of a suspicious target over the skies of the State of Israel in the south of the country.”
Thursday marked the first time sirens sounded in southern Israel since Nov. 24, when the ceasefire-for-hostages arrangement between Israel and Hamas was forged.
Seventy-five Israelis have already been released from captivity under the terms of the deal, which has been extended until Friday.
“Palestinian and Israeli sides have reached an agreement to extend the humanitarian pause in the Gaza Strip for an additional day under the existing conditions, which are a cessation of all military activities and the entry of humanitarian aid to Gaza,” according to a statement by Qatari Foreign Ministry spokesman Majed al-Ansari.
Earlier this week, Hamas terrorists attacked Israeli troops in the northern Gaza Strip, in violation of the ceasefire deal. Several Israeli soldiers were wounded, the IDF said on Tuesday.
“Over the last hour, three explosive devices were detonated adjacent to IDF troops in two different locations in northern Gaza, violating the framework of the operational pause,” said the military. Israeli forces were also fired on in one of the locations, according to the IDF.
Soldiers returned fire while staying within the agreed ceasefire lines, the military said.