Israel’s Cabinet on Wednesday approved Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Diaspora Affairs and Social Equality Minister Amichai Chikli’s proposal to budget 7 million shekels ($1.8 million) to collect visual testimony of Holocaust survivors.
The ministers also approved their proposal to broaden the parameters of the initiative and place special emphasis on making the testimony accessible to the general public in various languages, as well as allowing the material to be used for educational purposes and in the fight against antisemitism.
Last year, the government approved a plan to collect visual testimony from Holocaust survivors in Israel and overseas. On Wednesday, the Cabinet set the initiative’s budget.
“Against phenomena of Holocaust denial and displays of antisemitism around the world, we have passed a decision today that will assist in preserving the memory of the Holocaust,” said Netanyahu.
“We are expanding the important initiative of collecting firsthand testimony from Holocaust survivors, those who heroically succeeded in surviving the horrors of the Nazis, who tried to destroy our people in Europe. They did not succeed, and those who survived the Holocaust continued the marvelous heritage of the Jewish people and established families in the Land of Israel and around the world,” the prime minister continued.
“We are committed to looking after the rights and the well-being of Holocaust survivors. We will pass their memories on to coming generations and we will always take care to ensure our future,” he said.