This 2024 - Let's Win the Battle of Headlines
update deskIsrael at War

Israeli hostage envoy speaks with US counterpart

"My staff and I are working around the clock for the missing, the captives and their families," said IDF Brig. Gen. (res.) Gal Hirsch.

Israeli Defense Forces Brig. Gen. (res.) Gal Hirsch during a press conference in Tel Aviv, Dec. 26, 2018. Photo by Flash90.
Israeli Defense Forces Brig. Gen. (res.) Gal Hirsch during a press conference in Tel Aviv, Dec. 26, 2018. Photo by Flash90.

IDF Brig. Gen. (res.) Gal Hirsch, tapped by Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu as coordinator for the captives and the missing in the aftermath of Hamas’s Oct. 7 mass terror attack, spoke with his U.S. counterpart on Wednesday night, according to the Prime Minister’s Office.

“Last night I spoke with U.S. Special Presidential Envoy for Hostage Affairs Roger Carstens, and today I will meet with his deputy, Steven Gillen, who is coming to Israel specially,” said Hirsch.

“The warm ties, the heartfelt concern and the American commitment to assist in every way possible are very important to us,” he added.

On Saturday morning, Hamas terrorists infiltrated several Israeli communities, killing at least 1,300 people. Some 3,000 people were wounded in shooting and rocket attacks over the weekend, and the toll continues to climb.

More than 100 Israelis are being held captive by Hamas in the Gaza Strip, according to reports, with the IDF saying it has so far notified the families of 97 hostages.

“The searches in the field are continuing and the difficult work of identifying the bodies continues,” Hirsch noted on Thursday.

“Many of those who were injured are being treated in hospital and we are investigating every piece of information that could assist us in locating the missing,” he said, adding that “many Israelis are contacting us with offers to help and volunteer.”

“My staff and I are working around the clock for the missing, the captives and their families. Together, we will overcome and we will win,” the prime minister’s envoy concluded.

Earlier this week, Israeli Defense Minister Yoav Gallant ordered a “complete siege” of the Gaza Strip as the Israel Defense Forces prepared for a major offensive in response to Hamas’s surprise attack.

The siege will continue until every Israeli kidnapped by Hamas is freed, Israeli Energy and Infrastructure Minister Israel Katz announced on Thursday.

“Humanitarian aid to Gaza? No electrical switch will be turned on, no water hydrant will be opened and no fuel truck will enter until the Israeli abductees are returned home,” tweeted Katz.

You have read 3 articles this month.
Register to receive full access to JNS.

Just before you scroll on...

Israel is at war.

JNS is combating the stream of misinformation on Israel with real, honest and factual reporting. In order to deliver this in-depth, unbiased coverage of Israel and the Jewish world, we rely on readers like you.

The support you provide allows our journalists to deliver the truth, free from bias and hidden agendas. Can we count on your support?

Every contribution, big or small, helps JNS.org remain a trusted source of news you can rely on.

Become a part of our mission by donating today
Topics
Comments
Thank you. You are a loyal JNS Reader.
You have read more than 10 articles this month.
Please register for full access to continue reading and post comments.
Never miss a thing
Get the best stories faster with JNS breaking news updates