Newsletter
Newsletter Support JNS

Two arrested in connection with deadly Ariel shooting

Security guard Vyacheslav Golev, 23, was gunned down as he shielded his fiancée with his body • The terrorists appear to have been working alone, though one has links to Hamas, Israeli media reports.

Israeli security and rescue personnel at the scene of a shooting attack at the entrance to Ariel, in Judea and Samaria, on April 30, 2022. Photo by Flash90.
Israeli security and rescue personnel at the scene of a shooting attack at the entrance to Ariel, in Judea and Samaria, on April 30, 2022. Photo by Flash90.

Israeli security forces arrested two Palestinians on Saturday in connection with the murder of an Israeli civilian security guard outside Ariel the night before, according to the Israeli military.

The suspects, identified by Israeli media as Yahyah Maree, 19, and Yousef A’ssi, 20, were arrested in their homes in the town of Qarawat Bani Hassan, near Ariel, the Israel Defense Forces said in a statement. Two Carlo-type improvised submachine guns were also seized, according to the military.

The guard, named by Hebrew media reports as Vyacheslav Golev, 23, of Beit Shemesh, had been stationed at the entrance to Ariel together with his fiancée, Victoria Fligelman of Ashkelon.

Two gunmen arrived at the entrance to Ariel in a blue Suzuki with Israeli license plates that belonged to another vehicle, Israeli media reported. The terrorists opened fire on the guards’ booth from their vehicle, before one of them exited the vehicle and fired at the booth from close range. Golev shielded Fligelman with his body, according to Ynet. Golev died of his wounds, but Fligelman was unharmed.

Israeli security forces block the entrance to Salfit in Judea and Samaria on April 30, 2022, during searches for the terrorists who carried out the deadly attack at the entrance to Ariel the night before. Photo by Nasser Ishtayeh/Flash90.
Israeli security forces block the entrance to Salfit in Judea and Samaria on April 30, 2022, during searches for the terrorists who carried out the deadly attack at the entrance to Ariel the night before. Photo by Nasser Ishtayeh/Flash90.

Preliminary investigations have found no evidence that the gunmen were sent by any terror groups, but one had ties to Hamas, according to the report. Both suspects were barred from entering Israel, and one has served time in an Israeli prison. Several of the suspects’ relatives were also arrested, on suspicion of aiding them in carrying out the attack, reported Ynet.

Golev, who is survived by his parents and seven siblings, only recently moved to Ariel together with Fligelman, according to the report. The two became engaged just weeks before the attack.

Fligelman’s father told Ynet that her daughter, who is being treated at Barzilai Medical Center in Ashkelon, had suffered “great trauma.”

Israeli Prime Minister Naftali Bennett said on Saturday, “There is no terrorist whom we will not reach and settle accounts with.”

“I would like to convey my condolences to the family of the security guard who was murdered as he protected his colleague from the terrorists with his body last night in Ariel,” he said.

“Our war with terrorism is lengthy. Together we will win,” he added.

Heritage Minister Amichai Eliyahu said: “After years in which sites were neglected or looted, Israel is making historical corrections.”
Using this phrase against Israel is no less absurd than labeling sport-hooliganism and violence at mass demonstrations in the West as officially sponsored, government-sanctioned violence.
“Nearly eight years after the shooting, our gratitude and admiration for the heroic bravery and selfless dedication of the first responders that day endures,” said U.S. Attorney Troy Rivetti.
Yitzhak Ben-Hebron escaped Arab riots as a child and later returned to rebuild the Jewish community in the city.
Army Maj. Gen. Jasper Jeffers III said that future conflicts will require allied special operations forces to integrate quickly and operate with compatible systems.
“The strength and resilience you and your families demonstrate throughout the recovery and rehabilitation process inspire the entire nation of Israel,” the IDF chief said.