Newsletter
Newsletter Support JNS

Israel delivers Iron Dome defense systems to US Army

Defense Minister Benny Gantz: “I am proud that this advanced system will also protect U.S. Army troops.”

Israeli officials at the ceremony held in honor of the delivery of an Iron Dome battery to the U.S. Army, September 2020. Photo by Ariel Hermoni/Israel Ministry of Defense.
Israeli officials at the ceremony held in honor of the delivery of an Iron Dome battery to the U.S. Army, September 2020. Photo by Ariel Hermoni/Israel Ministry of Defense.

The Israeli Ministry of Defense delivered the first of two Rafael-made Iron Dome air-defense systems to the U.S. Army, the Defense Ministry announced on Wednesday.

“As a result of the effectiveness of this system, many deaths were prevented on the home front of southern Israel, and it has a significant impact on the battlefield. I am proud that this advanced system will also protect U.S. Army troops,” said Defense Minister Benny Gantz, according to a statement from Israel’s Defense Ministry.

Gantz mentioned that on his visit last week to the United States, and during his meetings with senior officials from the U.S. Department of Defense and the military, “we discussed procurement and information sharing in the field of technology.”

The United States and Israel signed an agreement in August 2019 for the procurement of two Iron Dome systems. The first battery was delivered in record time; the second battery will be delivered in the near future within the framework of the agreement.

Iron Dome has been operational in Israel since 2011 and has intercepted more than 2,400 incoming threats, stated the ministry.

The president condemned violence “by a lawless mob in Judea and Samaria,” prompting criticism from the national security minister.
Days earlier, a Jewish security group warned police about a heightened security risk at the Chanukah event.
The prominent Jewish Democrat says she will use her “seniority and clout” in a district that has long elected Black representatives.
The first such legal move on behalf of a Palestinian against the terror group at the International Criminal Court has gone unanswered since December.
A 25-year-old faces hate crime charges after two Jewish men were attacked near a Hendon shul.
“I do think perhaps there is the possibility that in the next few hours the world will get some good news,” Washington’s top diplomat said.