Newsletter
Newsletter Support JNS

Israeli strikes wound soldier in southern Syria

A war monitor said the strikes targeted two or more sites in Damascus province, including a weapons depot used by Hezbollah.

Explosions in Damascus destroy an arms depot belonging to Iranian-backed groups, Aug. 13, 2023. Credit: Syrian Observatory for Human Rights.
Explosions in Damascus destroy an arms depot belonging to Iranian-backed groups, Aug. 13, 2023. Credit: Syrian Observatory for Human Rights.

A Syrian soldier was injured during a series of Israeli strikes in southern Syria overnight Saturday, according to the state-run SANA outlet.

The report said that just after midnight Israeli fighter jets “carried out an aerial act of aggression from the direction of the occupied Syrian Golan, targeting a number of sites in the southern region.”

The U.K.-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights war monitor said the strikes targeted two or more sites in Damascus province, including a Syrian military weapons depot used by Hezbollah.

Last week, the Israel Defense Forces struck two Syrian army positions where Iranian-backed Hezbollah terrorists were operating.

“[Israel] holds the Syrian regime responsible for everything that takes place within its territory and will not allow any actions leading to the entrenchment of Hezbollah on that front,” the IDF said.

The strikes were conducted after the military gathered “precise intelligence” about Hezbollah activities in the area.

The IDF has attacked more than 50 targets belonging to Hezbollah and other Iran-backed terrorist groups in Syria since Oct. 7.

In response, Tehran has reportedly removed senior Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps officers from Syria.

Israel has struck hundreds of targets in Syria in recent years as part of an effort to prevent further Iranian military entrenchment in the country. However, Jerusalem rarely acknowledges such attacks.

Using this phrase against Israel is no less absurd than labeling sport-hooliganism and violence at mass demonstrations in the West as officially sponsored, government-sanctioned violence.
“Nearly eight years after the shooting, our gratitude and admiration for the heroic bravery and selfless dedication of the first responders that day endures,” said U.S. Attorney Troy Rivetti.
Yitzhak Ben-Hebron escaped Arab riots as a child and later returned to rebuild the Jewish community in the city.
Army Maj. Gen. Jasper Jeffers III said that future conflicts will require allied special operations forces to integrate quickly and operate with compatible systems.
“The strength and resilience you and your families demonstrate throughout the recovery and rehabilitation process inspire the entire nation of Israel,” the IDF chief said.
“The Alumot Unit will work to make artificial intelligence capabilities accessible to the fighters at the operational edge.”