Newsletter
Newsletter Support JNS

Israelis rush to order phone landlines due to tensions with Iran

Customer orders for the setup are up 168% nationwide, 364% in Haifa.

A cordless phone with a charging station that connects to a landline. Credit: 2ban/Shutterstock.
A cordless phone with a charging station that connects to a landline. Credit: 2ban/Shutterstock.

Landlines are back in style in the Start-Up Nation.

The security tensions with Iran and the advice of an Israeli mayor have led to a surge in orders for the old-school telephone setup over the last 10 days.

Haifa Mayor Yona Yahav stirred heads with his recommendation earlier this month that residents of the northern city install landline phones in their homes and stockpile medicine, food, water and other critical supplies.

Yahav spoke shortly before last weekend’s unprecedented Iranian attack on Israel, when the Islamic Republic and its proxies fired more than 300 missiles and explosive drones at the Jewish state.

In a week measured since the mayor spoke out, Haifa has seen a 364% increase over eight weeks earlier in requests for landlines—a nationwide high, according to figures released by the Bezeq telecommunications company.

Northern Israel has seen a 193% increase in demand for landlines, while nationwide the orders are up 168%.

Yahav pushed back on accusations that he was stirring panic in the country, saying he was simply trying to be prepared for any eventuality causing downed electricity lines.

An estimated 1.2 million Israeli households have landlines, the Communications Ministry said on Thursday.

A spokesperson for Communications Minister Shlomo Karhi declined to comment Thursday on the rise in demand for landlines.

The telephone company said that it was working to meet the demand.

“Since the beginning of the war, we are working with increased manpower to meet the increasing demand for communications services as well as to speedily repair damaged infrastructure,” Bezeq director general Nir David said in a statement. “We are also working on providing quick service to the ever-increasing demand for landlines in Israel.”

Etgar Lefkovits, an award-winning international journalist, is an Israel correspondent and a feature news writer for JNS. A native of Chicago, he has two decades of experience in journalism, having served as Jerusalem correspondent in one of the world’s most demanding positions. He is currently based in Tel Aviv.
The two men were arrested on Monday after defacing a public park bench with a swastika and the words “Adolf was here.”
The late Jewish representative from Massachusetts “approached Israel as a liberal Zionist: engaged, critical and deeply committed,” William Daroff, CEO of the Conference of Presidents, told JNS.
“Protecting civil rights of every American remains a core responsibility of the Department of Justice,” Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche stated.
One person reportedly sustained light injuries in the vehicular assault.
“They came with a lot of pride—look how they look now,” said Israel’s National Security Minister.
Oscar-winning filmmaker László Nemes said his Holocaust films would likely be ignored in today’s “shameless orgy of antisemitism.”