Newsletter
Newsletter Support JNS

How Hamas lies about casualty numbers in Gaza

“Top Story” with Jonathan Tobin and guest Abraham Wyner, Ep. 136

The media narrative about Israel waging an indiscriminate bombing campaign that targets Palestinian civilians is based upon a lie. JNS editor-in-chief Jonathan Tobin points out that the deluge of unfair accusations against the Jewish state over the post-Oct. 7 war against Hamas isn’t just a matter of shocking images. It’s also a matter of falsified numbers fed to the world by Hamas that a less biased press would question rather than merely accept.

He is joined by Avraham Wyner of the Wharton School of Economics at the University of Pennsylvania, who exposed the Hamas propaganda in a recent analysis. According to Wyner—one of America’s leading experts on statistical science—the numbers produced by the terror group about Palestinians who have died since the war began make no sense. Given the large number of Hamas fighters killed by Israeli forces, the number of men in the totals should be very high; instead, they are missing as Hamas seeks to portray the casualties as being primarily women and children. He also says the way the numbers match up almost perfectly with population statistics shows that they are fake.

Wyner says that by exaggerating the number of civilians, the Islamist group hopes to be bailed out by international opinion, which it expects will stop Israel from fulfilling its goal of eradicating the terrorists who committed the atrocities of Oct. 7.

In the wake of Oct. 7, Wyner said that the campaign of delegitimization of Israel on college campuses like Penn has mainstreamed antisemitism in a way that threatens Jewish students.

Listen/Subscribe to weekly episodes on Spotify, Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, iHeart Radio or wherever you listen to your podcasts.

Watch new episodes every week by subscribing to the JNS YouTube Channel.

Jonathan S. Tobin is editor-in-chief of the Jewish News Syndicate, a senior contributor for The Federalist, a columnist for Newsweek and a contributor to many other publications. He covers the American political scene, foreign policy, the U.S.-Israel relationship, Middle East diplomacy, the Jewish world and the arts. He hosts the JNS “Think Twice” podcast, both the weekly video program and the “Jonathan Tobin Daily” program, which are available on all major audio platforms and YouTube. Previously, he was executive editor, then senior online editor and chief political blogger, for Commentary magazine. Before that, he was editor-in-chief of The Jewish Exponent in Philadelphia and editor of the Connecticut Jewish Ledger. He has won more than 60 awards for commentary, art criticism and other writing. He appears regularly on television, commenting on politics and foreign policy. Born in New York City, he studied history at Columbia University.
“By taking steps to dismantle these financial channels, the United States aims to deny the Iranian regime the resources it uses to threaten regional stability,” said State Department spokesman Tommy Pigott.
“The pro-terror flotilla is a ludicrous attempt to undermine President Trump’s successful progress toward lasting peace in the region,” the U.S. treasury secretary said.
“We have a responsibility to confront antisemitism, defend democratic values and ensure every resident feels safe,” said Steven Meiner, mayor of Miami Beach.
The public university stated that the graduate student violated rules that were sent out prior to graduation and that several participants were removed from various ceremonies for carrying different flags, including U.S. and Ukrainian ones.
Rep. Adam Smith, ranking member of the House Armed Services Committee, told JNS that “the far-right and the far-left have decided that threats and intimidation are another way to try to either drive people out or make them so scared that they acquiesce.”
Major New York City Jewish leaders boycotted the event, to which JNS was told there was no room for it to report.