Newsletter
Newsletter Support JNS

US State Department processes flights out of Lebanon for American citizens

More than 1,000 U.S. citizens, their family members and permanent residents have fled the country on U.S.-organized flights since late September.

View of Border of Lebanon
A view of the border fence with Lebanon as seen from Kibbutz Misgav Am in northern Israel, Aug. 27, 2019. Photo by David Cohen/Flash90.

As the conflict between Israel and Hezbollah has intensified, the U.S. State Department has boosted efforts to support American citizens and permanent residents seeking to leave Lebanon.

U.S. State Department spokesperson Matthew Miller said on Tuesday that the government is continuing to arrange their way out, adding that more than 1,000 U.S. citizens, their family members and permanent residents have fled the Middle Eastern country in U.S.-organized flights.

Miller said on Tuesday that about 120 people had left Lebanon on a U.S.-organized flight. The State Department has made available more than 3,900 seats on flights out of the country and contacted 8,800 people who are considering leaving.

The State Department issued a travel alert last week for “U.S. citizens to depart Lebanon now while commercial options and U.S. augmentation flights remain available. We urge U.S. citizens not to travel to Lebanon.”

It followed an advisory warning by the U.S. embassy in Beirut in September and one in late July not to travel to Lebanon or Syria, tagging it recently with a level 4 warning.

Daniel Diermeier spoke at length to JNS about Jew-hatred on campus, which his employer has a reputation of handling much better than many other colleges and universities have.
The faction is “an extension” of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps Quds Force and is “not a Lebanese resistance movement,” a State Department official said.
“These maniacs are on the ropes, and these historic measures will cripple them and their ability to project terror worldwide,” said the U.S. president.
The Israeli premier warned Ankara against military entrenchment south of Aleppo following an attack on the Abu al-Duhur airbase early Tuesday morning.