Newsletter
Newsletter Support JNS

Israel’s UN envoy accuses UK of hypocrisy over Gaza war

U.S. Ambassador Huckabee blasts Starmer, invoking WWII and Dresden in rebuttal to British condemnation of Israel’s military expansion.

Ambassador Danny Danon, permanent representative of Israel to the UN, speaks during a press conference at the United Nations headquarters in New York on Aug. 05, 2025. Photo by Michael M. Santiago/Getty Images.
Ambassador Danny Danon, permanent representative of Israel to the UN, speaks during a press conference at the United Nations headquarters in New York on Aug. 05, 2025. Photo by Michael M. Santiago/Getty Images.

Israeli Ambassador to the United Nations Danny Danon accused the United Kingdom of hypocrisy after it requested an emergency Security Council meeting regarding Jerusalem’s decision to expand military operations in Gaza.

“On October 7, the Hamas terrorist organization abducted British citizens along with hundreds of Israelis. If today fifty British citizens were being held in Gaza by terrorists, the British government would not stand idly by,” Danon wrote on X.

The U.N. Security Council meeting on Israel’s Cabinet decision is scheduled for Sunday.

British Prime Minister Keir Starmer condemned Jerusalem’s move on Friday in a statement posted to X, calling it “wrong” and urging it to “reconsider immediately.”

Starmer’s statement elicited a scathing response from U.S. Ambassador to Israel Mike Huckabee, who tweeted:

“So Israel is expected to surrender to Hamas & feed them even though Israeli hostages are being starved? Did the UK surrender to the Nazis and drop food for them? Ever heard of Dresden, PM Starmer? That wasn’t food you dropped. If you had been PM then, the UK would be speaking German!”

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Friday reiterated that Israel has no intention of occupying the Gaza Strip, saying the expansion of the war is aimed at freeing the local population from Hamas’s regime of terror.

“We are not going to occupy Gaza—we are going to free Gaza from Hamas,” said Netanyahu.

“Gaza will be demilitarized, and a peaceful civilian administration will be established, one that is not the Palestinian Authority, not Hamas, and not any other terrorist organization,” he continued. “This will help free our hostages and ensure Gaza does not pose a threat to Israel in the future.”

The Israeli Security Cabinet overnight Thursday decided by a “decisive majority” to approve Netanyahu’s plan for “taking control of Gaza City, while distributing humanitarian assistance to the civilian population outside the combat zones,” the Prime Minister’s Office said.

The statement noted that the forum voted on five principles: disarming Hamas, returning all 50 hostages, demilitarizing Gaza, Israeli security control of the Strip and creating an alternative civil administration.

See more from JNS Staff
“Despite the attacks on our coverage from opposing directions on a near-daily basis, we will not let critics or advocacy campaigns deter us from such independent reporting,” a spokesman for the paper told JNS.
“These are not just numbers on a page but are lived experience of all Jewish Americans,” Rep. Brad Knott said, of Jew-hatred, on the House floor.
“Abe believed that hearts could change,” said Rabbi Elliot Cosgrove, of Park Avenue Synagogue.
“The accused was identified as a result of tips received from the public,” police said.
It comes as the Israeli Foreign Ministry claimed that the paper published a “shameful attack” on the Jewish state before the release of a report on sexual violence on Oct. 7.