Newsletter
Newsletter Support JNS

Israeli special forces nab suspect in deadly Samaria terror attack

IDF troops apprehended dozens of terrorists in Judea and Samaria and confiscated over three million shekels in terror funds.

Firearms and other military equipment confiscated by IDF troops during counter-terrorism operations in Judea and Samaria during the week of Feb. 8, 2026. Credit: IDF.
Firearms and other military equipment confiscated by IDF troops during counter-terrorism operations in Judea and Samaria during the week of Feb. 8, 2026. Credit: IDF.

Israeli security forces in Jenin on Thursday apprehended a Palestinian aide to the terrorists who carried out a shooting attack on Jan. 6 in which three Israelis were murdered and eight more were wounded, the Israel Defense Forces and Israel Police said in a joint statement.

The arrested man, Muhammad Zidan, was formerly a senior figure in the terrorist network in Jenin and was involved in financing terrorist elements and advancing terrorist activity against the State of Israel, the statement read.

The Border Police’s National Counter-Terrorism Unit (Yamam) carried out the operation together with IDF troops, under the guidance of the Israel Security Agency (Shin Bet).

Three terrorists carried out the shooting that killed sisters-in-law Rachel Cohen, 73, and Aliza Rice, 70, and Israel Police Master Sgt. Elad Yaakov Winkelstein, 35.

The attack took place on Route 55 next to the Palestinian village of Al-Funduq, located close to Kedumim in northern Samaria. Two of the assailants were killed near Jenin on Jan. 22, 2025. The third was arrested in April and the mastermind behind the attack was detained the following month.

Meanwhile, IDF troops concluded a week of counter-terrorism activities throughout Judea and Samaria in which dozens of terrorists were arrested, firearms and ammunition were confiscated, and a total of three million shekels ($970,000) in terror funds were seized, the military said on Friday.

In the Samaria Regional Brigade are of responsibility, more than 30 terrorists were apprehended, and parts for assembling bombs, M16 rifles and military equipment that had been hidden inside shops in the Balata area on the eastern outskirts of Nablus were confiscated, the IDF Spokesperson’s Unit said.

Forces of the Menashe Regional Brigade responsible for the Jenin area arrested wanted suspects affiliated with Hamas and Palestinian Islamic Jihad.

In addition to Kalashnikov rifles, military equipment and terror funds valued at tens of thousands of shekels that were confiscated, paraphernalia containing ISIS emblems was found, the army said.

Hamas terrorists who had thrown Molotov cocktails toward the Jewish community of Beit El, north of Ramallah, were apprehended by the Binyamin Regional Brigade.

All suspects were transferred to the Shin Bet and the Judea and Samaria District Police for further handling.

See more from JNS Staff
NYPD said the investigation into the death of Albert Itzkowitz, 75, a former Hatzolah volunteer and kosher bakery owner, remains ongoing and that no arrests have been made.
“At a time when Jewish Americans are facing a deeply troubling rise in violence and harassment, it is critical to recognize organizations that have spent generations standing up to hate and defending the truth,” Rep. Frank Pallone Jr. said.
Rabbi Jason Rosner, of Congregation B’nai Emet, told JNS that “we are prepared to evacuate our Torahs if necessary.”
The PAC’s co-chairs stated that Ammar Campa-Najjar is “the only candidate campaigning on a progressive agenda in this race.”
“This settlement reaffirms a basic principle, which is that American law cannot tolerate taxpayer dollars flowing to a system that rewards terrorism,” Mark Goldfeder, CEO and director of the National Jewish Advocacy Center, told JNS.
The International Roundnet Federation no longer plans to bar the team from displaying an Israeli flag or symbols at the championships but warned that further accusations of antisemitism might lead to legal action.