Newsletter
Newsletter Support JNS

‘Clashes’ in Syria to ‘end tonight,’ Rubio declares

The U.S. secretary of state said the agreed-upon steps will “require all parties to deliver on the commitments they have made.”

Marco Rubio
U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio gives a press statement after meeting with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu at the Prime Minister’s Office in Jerusalem on Feb. 16, 2025. Photo by Alex Kolomoisky/POOL via Flash90.

U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio announced an agreement set to quell the recent engagements in Syria, stating on Wednesday that the situation will come “to an end tonight.”

Israel launched airstrikes into southern Syria, including targeting the entrance to the Syrian military earlier on Wednesday, to protect the Druze community from recent attacks by the Syrian regime forces.

“We have engaged all the parties involved in the clashes in Syria,” Rubio wrote. “We have agreed on specific steps that will bring this troubling and horrifying situation to an end tonight.”

He added that the agreement will “require all parties to deliver on the commitments they have made; this is what we fully expect them to do.”

While the Israeli government has yet to comment directly on the matter, the Israel Defense Forces posted a quote from Lt. Gen. Eyal Zamir, chief of the general staff of the IDF, shortly after Rubio’s announcement.

“We are acting decisively to prevent the entrenchment of hostile elements beyond the border, protect Israeli citizens and prevent harm to Druze civilians,” Zamir wrote.

Mohammad Baqer Saad Dawood Al-Saadi “directed and urged others to attack U.S. and Israeli interests and to kill Americans and Jews in the U.S. and abroad,” the Justice Department said.
One caller, who invoked Tucker Carlson, told Rep. Jared Moskowitz, a Florida Democrat, that “you’re the Hitler.”
“There will be ups and downs, but the potential for success is great,” wrote Yechiel Leiter, the Israeli envoy in Washington.
“I don’t want to quit. I’m not a quitter,” Steve Cohen said. “But these districts were drawn to beat me. They were drawn to defeat me.”
Federal prosecutors allege Elias Rodriguez carried out a premeditated terrorist attack motivated by “political, ideological, national and religious bias, contempt and hatred.”
“We shouldn’t host the relatives of people who attack our country,” said Sen. Tom Cotton.