(November 13, 2019 / JNS) At least three rocket crews were eliminated on Wednesday during ongoing Israeli airstrikes against Palestinian Islamic Jihad targets in the Gaza Strip, according to Israeli military sources.
The terror group released a statement on Wednesday confirming two of its fighters were killed in separate strikes south of Gaza City, Reuters reported.
The death toll since the current round of fighting began on Tuesday stands at 19, Gaza medical officials said, according to the report.
Israel killed Islamic Jihad commander Baha Abu al-Ata in Gaza on Tuesday, sparking a barrage of more than 200 rockets from the Hamas-controlled enclave that as of Wednesday showed no signs of stopping.
An Islamic Jihad official told Reuters that despite diplomatic efforts to reach a ceasefire, his group had told mediators it plans to continue its attacks.
“Attempts to restore calm did not succeed, the Islamic Jihad see that it is time to respond to the assassination policy which was revived by the Zionist enemy,” the official said, according to the report.
“The enemy will pay the price of its foolishness and we are determined to confront this aggression with all our might,” the official added.
So far, the terrorist group Hamas, which controls Gaza, has not joined the attacks.
Meanwhile, Israel has assembled armored vehicles along its border with the Gaza Strip.
JNS works around the clock to provide high-quality, pro-Israel content. We’ve taken numerous steps to improve the quality, quantity, and distribution of our content for even greater impact. We intend to keep on growing, and to do that we need your help.
Please help us take pro-Israel journalism to the next level with a tax-deductible sponsorship, either on a one-time or recurring monthly basis. Jewish News Syndicate is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization.