update deskIsrael at War

Drone attack from Lebanon wounds 10 Israelis

One victim was critically wounded.

Israeli security forces at the scene of a Hezbollah drone attack in the Druze town of Hurfeish near the border with Lebanon, June 5, 2024. Photo by Ayal Margolin/Flash90.
Israeli security forces at the scene of a Hezbollah drone attack in the Druze town of Hurfeish near the border with Lebanon, June 5, 2024. Photo by Ayal Margolin/Flash90.

At least 10 Israelis were wounded, including one critically, in a Hezbollah drone attack in the Druze town of Hurfeish near the border with Lebanon on Wednesday evening.

No air-raid sirens were triggered before the attack on the northernmost Druze community in the Galilee, the Israel Defense Forces confirmed.

According to the Magen David Adom emergency medical service, one victim was critically wounded, two moderately and the rest lightly.

Hezbollah took responsibility for launching the drones, with Lebanon’s Al-Mayadeen outlet claiming that “the Islamic Resistance fighters targeted … a deployment of Israeli enemy soldiers in the Baram Forest with rocket weapons and hit them directly.”

Israeli President Isaac Herzog commented on the attack during his speech at Jerusalem Day celebrations in the capital, saying Israel cannot remain indifferent to Hezbollah terrorism.

“Israel is attacked every day, for long months, by Iran’s proxies in Lebanon, who crudely violate international treaties, said Herzog. “The world must wake up and understand that Israel is left with no choice but to defend its citizens.

He continued, “The world must stand in wonder how Israel does so on its own, with growing force. Do not come with complaints when things get out of control.”

Hezbollah has attacked northern Israel nearly every day since joining the war in support of Hamas on Oct. 8, killing more than 20 people and causing widespread damage. Tens of thousands of Israelis remain internally displaced due to the violence.

Earlier on Wednesday, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said the Jewish state is “prepared for very intense action in the north” to restore security” and return the 60,000 displaced residents to their homes near the Lebanese border.

“We said, at the start of the war that we would restore security in both the south and the north, and this is what we are doing,” the premier said after earlier being briefed by commanders at the IDF’s Gibor base.

You have read 3 articles this month.
Register to receive full access to JNS.

Just before you scroll on...

Israel is at war. JNS is combating the stream of misinformation on Israel with real, honest and factual reporting. In order to deliver this in-depth, unbiased coverage of Israel and the Jewish world, we rely on readers like you. The support you provide allows our journalists to deliver the truth, free from bias and hidden agendas. Can we count on your support? Every contribution, big or small, helps JNS.org remain a trusted source of news you can rely on.

Become a part of our mission by donating today
Topics
Comments
Thank you. You are a loyal JNS Reader.
You have read more than 10 articles this month.
Please register for full access to continue reading and post comments.
Never miss a thing
Get the best stories faster with JNS breaking news updates