Newsletter
Newsletter Support JNS

Israeli arms firm drops contact with IDF intel chief who failed to detect Oct. 7

Maj. Gen. (res.) Aharon Haliva and IWI met several times over the past several weeks.

IDF Intelligence Directorate head Maj. Gen. Aharon Haliva (center) attends a conference of the Gazit Institute in Tel Aviv alongside former Prime Minister Ehud Barak, Nov. 5, 2022. Photo by Tomer Neuberg/Flash90.
IDF Intelligence Directorate head Maj. Gen. Aharon Haliva (center) attends a conference of the Gazit Institute in Tel Aviv alongside former Prime Minister Ehud Barak, Nov. 5, 2022. Photo by Tomer Neuberg/Flash90.

Israel Weapons Industries (IWI), which was apparently considering hiring Maj. Gen. (res.) Aharon Haliva, the head of the IDF’s Military Intelligence Directorate at the time of the Oct. 7, 2023, Hamas-led invasion, has ended contacts with him after protests by hostages’ families.

On March 12, Israeli business news site Calcalist reported on talks between Haliva and businessman Samy Katsav, founder of SK Group Ltd., which owns IWI, with an eye to hiring Haliva.

Calcalist reported on March 13 that hours following its initial report, it learned that talks between the parties had been canceled in the wake of anger from the families.

There had been several meetings between Haliva and IWI over the last several weeks, The business site reported. When contacted by Calcalist, the company said no agreement had been signed between the parties. It didn’t deny that talks had taken place.

On March 13, the company announced that “IWI does not employ Aharon Haliva and will not employ him in the future as well.”

On April 22, 2024, Haliva stepped down as the army’s intelligence chief, acknowledging his failure to detect the attack.

“The Intelligence Directorate under my command did not live up to the task it was entrusted with,” Haliva wrote to then-IDF Chief of Staff Lt. Gen. Herzi Halevi.

Haliva was on vacation in Eilat when the attack took place.

See more from JNS Staff
“Tulsi has done an incredible job, and we will miss her,” U.S. President Donald Trump said.
“Final aspects and details of the deal are currently being discussed,” the president said. “In addition to many other elements of the agreement, the Strait of Hormuz will be opened.”
Sgt. Noam Hamburger, 23, was a technology and maintenance specialist in the IDF’s 401st Brigade.
“We are in the stage of finalizing this memorandum of understanding, focused on ending the war,” the Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman said.
We would encourage him to self-deport before he is never ⁠given a chance to return, Department of Homeland Security spokesperson says.
The IDF will continue to remove any immediate threat, the army said.