Newsletter
Newsletter Support JNS

Islamic State claims credit for Moscow terror attack that killed more than 130

“The images are just horrible and hard to watch,” said John Kirby, the White House national security communications advisor.

Kremlin, Moscow, Russia
Kremlin, Moscow, Russia. Credit: RPerucho/Pixabay.

Terrorists attacked a concert hall in the outskirts of Moscow on Friday.

Russian state media reported that men armed with automatic weapons and incendiary explosives entered the hall. Unconfirmed videos on social media appeared to depict the men shooting into groups of civilians at close range.

At least 133 people were killed and more than 140 wounded in the attack. More than 50 ambulance crews were dispatched to the scene.

Authorities have detained 11 attackers.

Islamic State claimed credit for the attack, posting on Telegram that its “fighters attacked a large gathering of Christians in the city of Krasnogorsk on the outskirts of the Russian capital, Moscow, killing and wounding hundreds and causing great destruction to the place before they withdrew to their bases safely.”

The U.S. embassy issued a warning earlier in March that it was monitoring reports that “extremists have imminent plans to target large gatherings in Moscow,” including concerts.

Russia has frequently been the target of Islamist terrorism, including the 2002 Moscow theater siege in which 40 Chechen terrorists took 850 hostages. Ultimately, 132 of the hostages were killed and hundreds injured.

John Kirby, White House national security communications advisor, said at a press briefing Friday that the U.S. condemned the attack.

“The images are just horrible and hard to watch,” Kirby said. “Our thoughts obviously are going to be with the victims of this terrible shooting attack.”

Mohammad Baqer Saad Dawood Al-Saadi “directed and urged others to attack U.S. and Israeli interests and to kill Americans and Jews in the U.S. and abroad,” the Justice Department said.
One caller, who invoked Tucker Carlson, told Rep. Jared Moskowitz, a Florida Democrat, that “you’re the Hitler.”
“There will be ups and downs, but the potential for success is great,” wrote Yechiel Leiter, the Israeli envoy in Washington.
“I don’t want to quit. I’m not a quitter,” Steve Cohen said. “But these districts were drawn to beat me. They were drawn to defeat me.”
Federal prosecutors allege Elias Rodriguez carried out a premeditated terrorist attack motivated by “political, ideological, national and religious bias, contempt and hatred.”
“We shouldn’t host the relatives of people who attack our country,” said Sen. Tom Cotton.