Newsletter
Newsletter Support JNS

Book on Oct. 7 assault in Israel available on Amazon after initial delay

The technology giant didn’t reveal what alleged violation had prompted the delay regarding former Israeli spokesman Alon Penzel’s original reporting.

Israeli soldiers around the destruction caused by Hamas terrorists in Kfar Aza, near the Gaza border in southern Israel, Oct. 10, 2023. Photo by Chaim Goldberg/Flash90.
Israeli soldiers around the destruction caused by Hamas terrorists in Kfar Aza, near the Gaza border in southern Israel, Oct. 10, 2023. Photo by Chaim Goldberg/Flash90.

Alon Penzel, a former spokesman for Israel’s Coordinator of Government Activities in the Territories and author of “Testimonies Without Boundaries, Israel: October 7th 2023,” said he initially bumped into problems when trying to release the book on Amazon.

The company says it does not allow “hate speech” or a book that “promotes the abuse or sexual exploitation of children, contains pornography, glorifies rape or pedophilia, advocates terrorism, or other material we deem inappropriate or offensive.”

According to Jewish Insider, Penzel didn’t know what potential violation his book had breached. “I asked questions that were not so sensitive in order to reach the truth about the difficult aspects of what they experienced,” he told the news outlet.

He called the title “written clearly and unapologetically. I don’t think I have the right to censor or moderate what happened.”

Penzel’s work features previously unreported stories of sexual violence committed by Hamas terrorists against both men and women who were assaulted that Black Shabbat.

The nonprofit Israel-Is co-sponsored the book. Israel’s Foreign Ministry and Ministry of Diaspora Affairs have purchased dozens of copies intended for distribution to international leaders.

Heritage Minister Amichai Eliyahu said: “After years in which sites were neglected or looted, Israel is making historical corrections.”
Using this phrase against Israel is no less absurd than labeling sport-hooliganism and violence at mass demonstrations in the West as officially sponsored, government-sanctioned violence.
“Nearly eight years after the shooting, our gratitude and admiration for the heroic bravery and selfless dedication of the first responders that day endures,” said U.S. Attorney Troy Rivetti.
Yitzhak Ben-Hebron escaped Arab riots as a child and later returned to rebuild the Jewish community in the city.
Army Maj. Gen. Jasper Jeffers III said that future conflicts will require allied special operations forces to integrate quickly and operate with compatible systems.
“The strength and resilience you and your families demonstrate throughout the recovery and rehabilitation process inspire the entire nation of Israel,” the IDF chief said.