Israel will not place a closure around the borders of the West Bank during Purim for the first time in five years, Walla reported on Wednesday. The move had been customary to prevent terror attacks in past years.

Defense chiefs did not object to the move during consultations, leading Israeli Defense Minister Benny Gantz to approve the decision on Tuesday, according to the report.

A situation analysis that preceded the decision suggested that relatively speaking, the sector was quiet and stable, despite a wave of disturbances and armed clashes that accompanied counter-terrorist operations in a number of cities, leading to Palestinian casualties in Nablus, the report noted.

More than 100,000 Palestinians work in Israel daily, and the defense establishment was keen to avoid giving Palestinians the impression of a move that would place them under economic pressure, it said.

It also cited Israel Defense Forces’ sources as praising the security coordination in place with Palestinian Authority security forces, which they said have improved and become effective around violent hot spots.

“The defense minister’s decision joins a series of easing of restrictions on Palestinian workers and treaders from Judea and Samaria that work in Israel,” said the report.

JNS

Support
Jewish News Syndicate


With geographic, political and social divides growing wider, high-quality reporting and informed analysis are more important than ever to keep people connected.

Our ability to cover the most important issues in Israel and throughout the Jewish world—without the standard media bias—depends on the support of committed readers.

If you appreciate the value of our news service and recognize how JNS stands out among the competition, please click on the link and make a one-time or monthly contribution.

We appreciate your support.