Newsletter
Newsletter Support JNS

Hezbollah chief rejects ‘Israeli-American plan’ to disarm group

Naim Qassem said in a televised address that removing the Iranian terror proxy’s weapons is “not in Lebanon’s interests.”

Deputy chief of the Lebanese Hezbollah terrorist group Naim Qassem attends a commemoration ceremony at the memorial grave of slain Hezbollah commander Imad Mughniyeh on April 5, 2024. Photo by Anwar Amro /AFP via Getty Images.
Deputy chief of the Lebanese Hezbollah terrorist group Naim Qassem attends a commemoration ceremony at the memorial grave of slain Hezbollah commander Imad Mughniyeh on April 5, 2024. Photo by Anwar Amro /AFP via Getty Images.

Hezbollah Secretary-General Naim Qassem on Sunday again rejected efforts to disarm Iran’s Lebanese terror proxy, saying that seizing the group’s weapons “is an Israeli-American plan.”

Paying tribute to late Hezbollah official Mohammad Yaghi (Abu Salim) on the second anniversary of his death, Qassem was quoted by AFP as saying that “to demand exclusive arms control while Israel is committing aggression and America is imposing its will on Lebanon, stripping it of its power, means that you are not working in Lebanon’s interest, but rather in the interest of what Israel wants.”

The Lebanese military is working to complete Hezbollah’s disarmament south of the Litani River by year’s end, under a U.S.-backed ceasefire agreement.

Qassem argued in the televised address that Lebanon should not move forward with disarmament until Israel fulfills its commitments under the ceasefire agreement. The November 2024 ceasefire was meant to end more than a year of fighting between Israel and the Iranian terror proxy.

Lebanese army chief Rudolph Haykal said last week the military is finishing the first phase of its disarmament plan.

Jerusalem has continuously struck Hezbollah targets since the ceasefire took effect, in response to the terror group’s attempts to rebuild its offensive capabilities in violation of the truce.

“All Pennsylvania students deserve to feel safe at school and learn in environments where their rights, identities and differences are respected,” Erin James, press secretary for the state’s Department of Education, told JNS.
The U.S. ambassador to Israel criticized Hamas for not yielding a single weapon yet as required by the Board of Peace’s Gaza plan.
U.S. envoy Tom Barrack expressed “deep concern” over an attack in northwestern Syria, which the IDF has not commented on.
The facility, which is under construction, will include viewing booths for victims and their families to watch the proceedings.