Newsletter
Newsletter Support JNS

IDF chief thanks US CENTCOM commander for ‘joint defense effort’ against Iran

“Close cooperation between the armies throughout the war resulted in the creation of a strong defense coalition that proved itself last night.”

Herzi Halevi and Michael Kurilla
U.S. CENTCOM commander Gen. Michael rik Kurilla (left) meets with Israeli Defense Minister Yoav Gallant and IDF Chief of Staff Lt. Gen. Herzi Halevi in Tel Aviv, July 26, 2023. Credit: Israel Defense Ministry.

Israel Defense Forces Chief of Staff Lt. Gen. Herzl Halevi spoke with U.S. Central Command (CENTCOM) commander Gen. Michael Erik Kurilla on Sunday morning following Iran’s overnight mass missile and drone attack on the Jewish state, the military announced.

Halevi expressed “great appreciation for the joint defense effort to thwart and intercept the Iranian attack on Israel,” the IDF said in a statement.

The military leader also conveyed to Kurilla that the “close cooperation between the armies throughout the war resulted in the creation of a strong defense coalition that proved itself last night.”

Iran fired more than 300 missiles and UAVs from its territory toward Israel on Saturday night, in what Tehran claimed was retaliation for the April 1 killing of several IRGC officers in Syria by Israel.

The United States and other countries helped Israel shoot down the projectiles, which amounted to a 99% success rate, according to the IDF. American military forces intercepted over 100 airborne threats.

The Iranian attack creates an opportunity to establish a coalition against the Islamic Republic, Israeli Defense Minister Yoav Gallant said earlier on Sunday, touring an Arrow 3 anti-ballistic missile battery together with U.S. Ambassador to Israel Jack Lew.

“Together with the U.S. and other countries, we have established a strong and powerful alliance, with coordination and synchronization between the defense establishments of the State of Israel, the U.S. and our partners,” said Gallant, according to a readout provided by the Defense Ministry.

Kurilla arrived in Israel on Thursday to coordinate with the IDF ahead of the long-awaited attack by Iran and its proxies, Axios reported last week, citing two Israeli officials. The CENTCOM chief reportedly met with Gallant and other senior security and military officials.

David Greenfield, CEO of Met Council, told JNS that the video “has strained relationships with a lot of us in the leadership, who have tried to work in good faith with the administration.”
U.S. President Donald Trump, who sought to unseat Cassidy, stated that “his disloyalty to the man who got him elected is now a part of legend, and it’s nice to see that his political career is over.”
A 31-year-old man of Moroccan descent ran over 7 people and stabbed another in a suspected terror attack near Milan.
“This is a strategic move designed to ensure Israel’s technological superiority, accelerate development in the field of AI, and maintain Israel’s position in the first line of world powers,” according to the Prime Minister’s Office.
“There are certainly many possibilities; we are prepared for any scenario,” the premier said.
The weekend statement from the Foreign Ministry comes six months after Jerusalem and the South American nation restored full diplomatic relations.