Newsletter
Newsletter Support JNS

IDF representatives participate in military exercise in Morocco for the first time

The “African Lion 2022” exercise, led by the U.S. Africa Command and Royal Moroccan Armed Forces, is the largest annual drill held by both militaries.

Israeli Defense Minister Benny Gantz (right) signs a memorandum of understanding with his counterpart, Moroccan Minister Delegate to the Head of Government in Charge of National Defense Abdellatif Loudiyi, Nov. 24, 2021. Credit: Ariel Hermoni/Israeli Defense Ministry.
Israeli Defense Minister Benny Gantz (right) signs a memorandum of understanding with his counterpart, Moroccan Minister Delegate to the Head of Government in Charge of National Defense Abdellatif Loudiyi, Nov. 24, 2021. Credit: Ariel Hermoni/Israeli Defense Ministry.

Representatives from the Israel Defense Forces and Israeli Defense Ministry took part for the first time in a military exercise held in Morocco, the Defense Ministry announced on Sunday.

The Israeli representatives acted as observers in the “African Lion 2022" exercise, which was led last week by the United States Africa Command and the Royal Moroccan Armed Forces. It is the largest annual exercise held by both militaries in Africa, according to the Defense Ministry.

“Israel’s participation in the exercise is an additional step in strengthening the security relations between the two countries’ Defense Ministries and militaries,” the ministry said in a statement.

“The security and defense ties between the countries are part of a wide and well-developed range of connections in the fields of economy, culture, education, athletics and more,” the statement continued.

In February, Israei media reported that Israel Aerospace Industries (IAI) would supply the Moroccan military with Barak MX air- and missile-defense systems in a deal worth more than $500 million.

In November 2021, Israeli Defense Minister Benny Gantz visited the North African country, signing a memorandum of understanding with his Moroccan counterpart during the visit.

The man was pronounced dead at a nearby hospital, and a bystander was hit in the gunfire, the agency said.
“The Trumbull Republican Town Committee owes every Trumbull citizen an apology,” the town’s chief elected official stated.
The high-security prison has since removed the offensive images, according to a report from the U.S. Department of Justice’s office of the inspector general.
Muhammad Anas Sial now also faces a count of ‘wilful promotion of hatred” in connection with an incident in mid-March.
“Tulsi has done an incredible job, and we will miss her,” U.S. President Donald Trump said.
“Final aspects and details of the deal are currently being discussed,” the president said. “In addition to many other elements of the agreement, the Strait of Hormuz will be opened.”