Newsletter
Newsletter Support JNS

Settlement activists temporarily establish six new outposts in Judea and Samaria

IDF and police said that “the establishment of outposts in Judea and Samaria that are not authorized by law is illegal and prohibited.”

The Nachalah Settlement Movement set up two outposts near Kiryat Arba and four more in other areas of Judea and Samaria, July 20, 2022. Photo by Yonatan Sindel/Flash90.
The Nachalah Settlement Movement set up two outposts near Kiryat Arba and four more in other areas of Judea and Samaria, July 20, 2022. Photo by Yonatan Sindel/Flash90.

Settlement forces challenged Israel’s government with the establishment of six outposts in Judea and Samaria on Wednesday. In response, the government ordered the Israel Defense Forces to remove them.

Thousands of people, including hundreds of youth, took part in the initiative organized months in advance by the NGO Nachala, headed by long-time settlement leader Daniella Weiss.

People began assembling at prearranged gathering points starting at 4:00 p.m. on Wednesday, according to reports. Hundreds of IDF soldiers, Border Police and regular police set up roadblocks in order to stop the flow of people, Ynet reported.

“In accordance with government guidelines, security forces have been operating in the last few hours in a number of locations in Judea and Samaria to prevent civilians from illegally entering into closed military zones,” said a joint statement by the Israel Police and the IDF.

Activists were nonetheless successful in temporarily setting up six new outposts—two in the area of Judea, two in Binyamin and two in Samaria.

Nachala estimated that over 10,000 activists participated in the operation.

Clashes were reported at night and some youth were reportedly lightly injured, with several taken to the hospital. Security forces said five people were arrested in the Binyamin area. Honenu, a pro-settlement legal-aid organization, reported on Thursday morning that 11 activists had been arrested.

Security forces evacuated most of the outposts by morning.

A number of right-wing politicians and settlement leaders came out to support the settlement initiative.

“I see adults and young people with light in their eyes and Zionism in their hearts. There is no more legitimate protest than this,” said head of the Samaria Regional Council Yossi Dagan, according to Ynet.

Yaakov Lappin is an Israel-based military affairs correspondent and analyst. He is the in-house analyst at the Miryam Institute; a research associate at the Alma Research and Education Center; and a research associate at the Begin-Sadat Center for Strategic Studies at Bar-Ilan University. He is a frequent guest commentator on international television news networks, including Sky News and i24 News. Lappin is the author of Virtual Caliphate: Exposing the Islamist State on the Internet. Follow him at: www.patreon.com/yaakovlappin.
David Greenfield, CEO of Met Council, told JNS that the video “has strained relationships with a lot of us in the leadership, who have tried to work in good faith with the administration.”
U.S. President Donald Trump, who sought to unseat Cassidy, stated that “his disloyalty to the man who got him elected is now a part of legend, and it’s nice to see that his political career is over.”
A 31-year-old man of Moroccan descent ran over 7 people and stabbed another in a suspected terror attack near Milan.
“This is a strategic move designed to ensure Israel’s technological superiority, accelerate development in the field of AI, and maintain Israel’s position in the first line of world powers,” according to the Prime Minister’s Office.
“There are certainly many possibilities; we are prepared for any scenario,” the premier said.
The weekend statement from the Foreign Ministry comes six months after Jerusalem and the South American nation restored full diplomatic relations.