Newsletter
Newsletter Support JNS

Israel strikes Hamas site in Gaza following surge of incendiary balloons

Israeli Defense Minister Benny Gantz warned terror groups that Israel will defend itself without reservation.

Fires in the Negev Desert in Israel as a result of arson terrorism from Palestinians in Gaza, July 2018. Photo by Tom Oren-Denenberg.
Fires in the Negev Desert in Israel as a result of arson terrorism from Palestinians in Gaza, July 2018. Photo by Tom Oren-Denenberg.

The Israel Defense Forces said it bombed a Hamas site in the Gaza Strip on Thursday night following balloons containing suspected explosives and incendiary devices launched over the border into southern Israel earlier that day.

The IDF said the strike targeted “underground infrastructure belonging to the Hamas terror group in the northern Gaza Strip.”

“The attack was carried out in response to the launching of incendiary balloons from the territory of the Gaza Strip into Israeli territory throughout the day,” said the IDF in a statement.

On Twitter, Israeli Defense Minister Benny Gantz warned terror groups in Gaza that the Jewish state will defend itself without reservation.

“The State of Israel won’t accept any violation of its sovereignty or harm to residents of the south,” tweeted Gantz. “If the terror organizations still don’t understand, whoever tests Israel will be hit hard.”

According to the southern division of Israel’s Fire and Rescue Services, at least three brush fires were inflamed in the southern part of the country earlier on Thursday by the balloons, whose origin is unknown. No injuries were reported.

In related news, Palestinian protesters near the West Bank village of Turmus Aya clashed with Israeli border guards on Friday.

Heritage Minister Amichai Eliyahu said: “After years in which sites were neglected or looted, Israel is making historical corrections.”
Using this phrase against Israel is no less absurd than labeling sport-hooliganism and violence at mass demonstrations in the West as officially sponsored, government-sanctioned violence.
“Nearly eight years after the shooting, our gratitude and admiration for the heroic bravery and selfless dedication of the first responders that day endures,” said U.S. Attorney Troy Rivetti.
Yitzhak Ben-Hebron escaped Arab riots as a child and later returned to rebuild the Jewish community in the city.
Army Maj. Gen. Jasper Jeffers III said that future conflicts will require allied special operations forces to integrate quickly and operate with compatible systems.
“The strength and resilience you and your families demonstrate throughout the recovery and rehabilitation process inspire the entire nation of Israel,” the IDF chief said.