Newsletter
Newsletter Support JNS

US, Iran hold indirect talks amid rising Middle East tensions

U.S. Middle East adviser Brett McGurk and Iran envoy Abram Paley reportedly represented Washington in the talks, which took place in Oman.

Then-Special envoy for the Global Coalition to Counter the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria Brett H. McGurk delivers remarks during a press conference at Fort Belvoir, Va., Oct. 24, 2017. Photo: U.S. Navy Petty Officer 1st Class Dominique A. Pineiro/U.S. Dept. of Defense.
Then-Special envoy for the Global Coalition to Counter the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria Brett H. McGurk delivers remarks during a press conference at Fort Belvoir, Va., Oct. 24, 2017. Photo: U.S. Navy Petty Officer 1st Class Dominique A. Pineiro/U.S. Dept. of Defense.

A U.S. delegation including Middle East adviser Brett McGurk and acting U.S. Iran envoy Abram Paley held indirect talks with Iranian officials in Oman last week on avoiding regional escalation, according to Axios.

Iran’s official IRNA news organization confirmed the indirect talks, but there was no comment from either the White House or State Department, according to Axios.

The report, which cited officials familiar with the talks, comes after a round of indirect talks in Oman in January focusing on the ongoing attacks by Yemen’s Houthi rebels on Red Sea shipping.

McGurk and Paley represented the U.S. in those talks, the first between Washington and Tehran in 10 months, while Iran was represented by Ali Bagheri, the Islamic Republic’s deputy foreign minister and top nuclear negotiator, according to The Financial Times.

It was unclear who represented Iran in last week’s talks.

It was reported last month in the wake of the Islamic Republic’s April 13 attack on Israel that Tehran is also trying to restart moribund talks with the Biden administration on the revival of the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action nuclear agreement.

The Islamic Republic is seeking to use its unprecedented drone and missile assault on the Jewish state, as well as Israel’s response to it, as an opening to revive the 2015 deal, that was scrapped by former U.S. President Donald Trump in 2018, according to Iran’s Shargh newspaper.

“In return for a de-escalation demanded by the West, there will be new nuclear negotiations. The aim is to lift the sanctions that are paralyzing Iran,” according to Shargh.

The Ivy League school states that the lawsuit has failed to prove discrimination, and that it has taken “sustained, institution-wide efforts” to address campus antisemitism.
“The opening of the embassy in Jerusalem will be another significant step in strengthening relations between our countries and nations,” said Israeli Foreign Minister Gideon Sa’ar.
“We must ensure this failed system doesn’t continue reinforcing the conditions that have fueled terrorism for generations,” the lawmakers wrote.
“By taking steps to dismantle these financial channels, the United States aims to deny the Iranian regime the resources it uses to threaten regional stability,” said State Department spokesman Tommy Pigott.
“The pro-terror flotilla is a ludicrous attempt to undermine President Trump’s successful progress toward lasting peace in the region,” the U.S. treasury secretary said.
“We have a responsibility to confront antisemitism, defend democratic values and ensure every resident feels safe,” said Steven Meiner, mayor of Miami Beach.