(October 15, 2020, JNS Wire) (Jerusalem, Israel) –– “ISRESILIENCE: What Israelis can Teach The World,” a collection of riveting true stories about people who survived against all odds and the lessons for us all, will be available on October 15.
Written by Michael Dickson, executive director of StandWithUs Israel and Dr. Naomi L. Baum, a pioneering psychologist in the field of resilience research and treatment, the book profiles a diverse group of compelling Israeli personalities and traces the characteristic of resilience that unites them all. From well-known leaders making life-and-death decisions to ordinary people who have overcome incredible loss to do inspirational things, meet the Israelis who thrive against all odds and learn how you can too. ISRESILIENCE is a study of a nation that has had to collectively and individually hang tough like no other country on earth. Imbued in Israel’s DNA is the understanding that survival isn’t optional – it’s a necessity. And they don’t just survive – they thrive.
ISRESILIENCE brings today’s most in-demand skill to life and shows how we all can benefit from the trait embodied by the nation once admired by Princess Diana as “a plucky little country.”
Each of the 14 profiles is set against the backdrop of Israel’s history – past and present – and social and cultural systems. Dickson and Baum traveled throughout Israel to interview a wide range of people from multiple backgrounds.
Published by Gefen Publishing House, LTD, advance copies are available. The book will be released on October 15.
Orders can be placed on Amazon: geni.us/Df2U
For other outlets, bulk orders and interview requests, visit: https://www.isresilience.com/
Michael interviewed Natan Scharansky, Tal Brody and Miri Eisen from the book on StandWithUs.tv on August 23:
Years in the making, Michael Dickson explains that “ISRESILIENCE is a study of a nation that has had to collectively and individually hang tough like no other country on earth. Imbued in Israel’s DNA is the understanding that survival isn’t optional – it’s a necessity. Any Israeli could have given testimony for this book. Israelis routinely carry on with their day-to-day lives not just when things are calm and peaceful but when rockets are launched at them, during official conflicts and wars and unofficial waves of gruesome terrorism. And they don’t just survive – they thrive.”
“ISRESILIENCE: What Israelis Can Teach The World” contains absorbing stories of people who:
- toughed it out in a Soviet Gulag to emerge a human rights icon
- overcame disability to pioneer tech helping paraplegics walk again
- fell from the sky, beating death and emerging an Olympic hero
- withstood 90% body burns to lead an iconic victory in battle
- survived the Nazis turning from child orphan refugee to spiritual leader
- broke through the glass ceiling to become a female Colonel
- went from having limbs blown off to winning high office
- overcame death threats to find his voice as an Arab in the Jewish State
- climbed Mount Everest to forgo reaching the peak in order to save a life
- gave up NBA fame to take a tiny country to basketball glory
- got elected to parliament, refusing to have others in her community define what a woman could achieve
- turned unbearable grief into a promise to ease the pain of others
- walked barefoot from Africa to reach the Promised Land
Praise for ISRESILIENCE
“Inspiring stories that demonstrate…a shining example of resilience for the world.” —Rabbi Lord Jonathan Sacks, international religious leader and author
“This wonderful book profiles inspiring Israelis and their spirit, with a message that will resonate for everyone.” – Senator Joe Lieberman, former United States Senator and Vice-Presidential candidate
“Michael Dickson, an expert in telling Israel’s story, and Dr. Naomi L Baum have done a great service in sharing the stories and secrets of Israeli resilience with their readers” — Gilad Erdan, Israel’s Ambassador to the United States and United Nations