Newsletter
Newsletter Support JNS

World’s largest warship en route to Middle East

The redeployment of the USS “Gerald R. Ford” underscores U.S. pressure on Iran as talks continue and military options loom.

A U.S. Navy MH-60S Sea Hawk helicopter transfers cargo from the USNS “Supply,” bound for the USS “Gerald R. Ford,” the world's largest aircraft carrier, during a replenishment in the Atlantic Ocean, July 9, 2025. Credit: Mass Communication Specialist Seaman Brianna Barnett/U.S. Navy Photo.
A U.S. Navy MH-60S Sea Hawk helicopter transfers cargo from the USNS “Supply,” bound for the USS “Gerald R. Ford,” the world’s largest aircraft carrier, during a replenishment in the Atlantic Ocean, July 9, 2025. Credit: Mass Communication Specialist Seaman Brianna Barnett/U.S. Navy.

The world’s largest aircraft carrier, the USS “Gerald R. Ford,” has been ordered to sail from the Caribbean Sea to join the USS “Abraham Lincoln” strike group in the Middle East, U.S. media outlets reported Friday, underscoring a significant bolstering of American naval power amid heightened tensions with Iran.

The redeployment of the “Ford,” first reported by The New York Times and confirmed by other sources, will extend its mission and place two U.S. carrier strike groups in the region simultaneously. The “Lincoln” has been operating in the Arabian Sea since late January as part of a broader U.S. naval presence aimed at applying pressure on Tehran over its nuclear program and regional activities.

USS Gerald R. Ford
USS “Gerald R. Ford” after departing Naval Station Norfolk in Virginia in October 2022. Credit: Mass Communication Specialist 2nd Class Jackson Adkins/U.S. Navy Photo via Wikimedia Commons.

The USS “Gerald R. Ford” (CVN-78), the lead ship of the Ford-class carriers, is the heaviest warship ever built and represents the cutting edge of U.S. naval capability, with a carrier air wing and advanced systems that far surpass those of earlier carrier classes.

Originally deployed in June 2025 and redirected to the Caribbean last year, the “Ford” sailors had been scheduled to return to their home port in Norfolk, Va., in early March. The redeployment moves that timeline back, with the carrier and its escort ships now expected to remain on station into late April or early May.

On Oct. 8, 2023, the day after the Hamas-led invasion of the northwestern Negev, then-U.S. Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin directed the “Gerald R. Ford” carrier strike group to the eastern Mediterranean “to bolster regional deterrence efforts.” Several of its escort ships entered the Red Sea, where they repeatedly intercepted missiles and drones fired by the Houthis in Yemen.

Officials familiar with the current plans said the move reflects President Donald Trump’s renewed pressure campaign against Tehran as indirect U.S.-Iran talks over its nuclear program continue. Earlier this week, Trump hinted that he was considering sending a second aircraft carrier to the region—an indication that military options remain under review. The Pentagon has not issued a formal statement on the redeployment.

For Israel, the presence of two U.S. carrier strike groups in and around the Persian Gulf signals a substantial American show of force at a time when Jerusalem has repeatedly warned that Iran’s advancing nuclear and missile programs pose an existential threat.

“This is what happens when antisemitism spreads, like wildfire, and it’s not checked by responsible people in the middle and on the left and on the right,” Ron Halber, of the local JCRC, told JNS.
“These Hezbollah-aligned officials include individuals embedded across Lebanon’s parliament, military and security sectors,” the U.S. Treasury Department said.
Yechiel Leiter said May Golan’s comments denigrating Reform Judaism are “disgusting and reprehensible.”
“We feel that Israeli athletes are doing much more than sports,” Yael Arad, Israel’s first Olympian to medal and president of its Olympic Committee, told JNS.
Federal prosecutors say the suspect, accused of working for Iran’s IRGC, gathered intelligence on Jewish and pro-Israel targets in Berlin in preparation for murder and arson attacks.
Jewish members of the coop “should not have to choose between local and organic food and their safety and their voice,” Kenneth Marcus, CEO of the center, said.