Newsletter
Newsletter Support JNS

Iranian Quds Force chief spotted at Tehran funeral ceremony

Esmail Ghaani was shown on Iranian state TV attending a ceremony for slain IRGC commander Abbas Nilforoushan.

Esmail Ghaani
Iranian IRGC commander Esmail Ghaani, January 2020. Credit: Wikimedia Commons.

Esmail Ghaani, the head of Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps’ Quds Force, was shown on Iranian state television attending a funeral in Tehran on Tuesday morning for slain IRGC commander Abbas Nilforoushan.

Nilforoushan was killed alongside Hezbollah leader Hassan Nasrallah in an Israeli airstrike in the Dahiya district south of Beirut on Sept. 27.

Questions about Ghaani’s fate were raised recently amid reports in Israeli and Arab media that he might have been wounded or killed in an Israeli airstrike in Dahiya in early October.

According to three Iranian officials cited by The New York Times, Ghaani had traveled to the Lebanese capital to assist Hezbollah following a series of devastating Israeli attacks that have disrupted its chain of command, including the targeted killing of Nasrallah.

Arab media reported on Oct. 10 that Ghaani had suffered a heart attack while being interrogated in Iran as part of a probe into intelligence leaks.

Sky News Arabia, citing Iranian sources, said that the commander had been moved to a hospital by the Islamic Republic’s security forces.

The investigation into Ghaani was opened following suspicions that the head of his office was in contact with Israeli intelligence “through an intermediary living outside Iran,” Sky News Arabia claimed.

Earlier on Oct. 10, Middle East Eye, a U.K.-based, Qatari-funded outlet, cited “ten sources in Tehran, Beirut and Baghdad” as saying that Ghaani and his associates had been detained as Iran investigates major security breaches.

Iran has “serious suspicions” that Jerusalem has infiltrated the IRGC’s ranks, the commander of one Iranian-backed terrorist group told the website, adding that “everyone is currently under investigation.”

Prior to Tuesday, Ghaani, who took control of the elite Quds Force after his predecessor Qassem Soleimani was killed by a U.S. drone strike in Baghdad in 2020, was last seen in public visiting Hezbollah’s offices in Tehran on Sept. 29.

The man was pronounced dead at a nearby hospital, and a bystander was hit in the gunfire, the agency said.
“The Trumbull Republican Town Committee owes every Trumbull citizen an apology,” the town’s chief elected official stated.
The high-security prison has since removed the offensive images, according to a report from the U.S. Department of Justice’s office of the inspector general.
Muhammad Anas Sial now also faces a count of ‘wilful promotion of hatred” in connection with an incident in mid-March.
“Tulsi has done an incredible job, and we will miss her,” U.S. President Donald Trump said.
“Final aspects and details of the deal are currently being discussed,” the president said. “In addition to many other elements of the agreement, the Strait of Hormuz will be opened.”