Newsletter
Newsletter Support JNS

Israel turns to Indian workers to replace Palestinians

Over the past year, approximately 16,000 have arrived from the South Asian nation, with plans to recruit thousands more.

A foreign worker from India plays cricket in an empty parking lot in south Tel Aviv, April 27, 2024. Photo by Dor Pazuelo/Flash90.
A foreign worker from India plays cricket in an empty parking lot in south Tel Aviv, April 27, 2024. Photo by Dor Pazuelo/Flash90.

In the wake of the labor shortage caused by the barring of Palestinian workers for security reasons after the Oct. 7, 2023 attack, Israel has turned to Indian laborers to fill construction jobs.

Approximately 16,000 Indian workers have arrived over the past year, with plans to recruit thousands more, according to AFP. While this initiative has eased the labor gap, it falls short of replacing the 80,000 Palestinians from Judea and Samaria who previously worked in the sector, slowing construction and risking a housing shortage.

According to Eyal Argov, head of the Macroeconomics and Policy Division in the Bank of Israel’s Research Department, before the attack, the construction industry employed about 80,000 Palestinians and 26,000 foreign workers.

Now, about 30,000 foreign workers are employed, significantly fewer than pre-war levels. Argov highlighted that construction activity in late 2024 was approximately 25% below pre-conflict levels.

Despite the growing number of Indian workers, Argov cautioned that their numbers remain insufficient to meet demand. While there is no immediate housing shortage, delays in the supply of new housing could occur. With Israel’s population growing at an annual rate of 2%, such delays may lead to shortages in the future.

The trial stop in the Buckeye State would help those who require consular help but don’t want to or can’t travel to New York.
A U.S. delegation is expected to arrive in Cairo after touching down in Israel to promote Trump’s 15-point peace plan for the Strip.
“Vandalizing the World War II Memorial is an outrageous insult to all who served and Holocaust survivors, as well as all Americans and the values for which our country stands,” Sara J. Bloomfield, director of the U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum, told JNS.
“We will keep litigating until we get to the truth,” Randy Mastro told JNS, after oral arguments in New York County Supreme Court. “I’m sure the court will hear us when these procedural issues are behind us.”