Newsletter
Newsletter Support JNS

Netanyahu condemns ‘unimaginable cruelty’ of Hamas after hostages mobbed

“I demand that the mediators ensure that such horrific scenes do not recur,” said the Israeli prime minister, after masses of Gaza residents swarmed the returnees.

Israeli civilian hostage Arbel Yehud surrounded by Hamas and Palestinian Islamic Jihad terrorists before being handed over to a Red Cross team in southern Gaza, Jan. 30, 2025. Credit: Eyad Baba/AFP via Getty Images.
Israeli civilian hostage Arbel Yehud surrounded by Hamas and Palestinian Islamic Jihad terrorists before being handed over to a Red Cross team in southern Gaza, Jan. 30, 2025. Credit: Eyad Baba/AFP via Getty Images.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Thursday condemned the crowds of Gazans that mobbed three Israeli hostages as they were being released by Hamas.

“I view the shocking scenes during the release of our hostages as very serious,” wrote Netanyahu after the release of Arbel Yehud, Gadi Mozes, Agam Berger and five Thai citizens, all of whom were abducted to Gaza on Oct. 7, 2023.

“This is further proof of the unimaginable cruelty of the Hamas terrorist organization. I demand that the mediators ensure that such horrific scenes do not recur, and guarantee the safety of our hostages. Those who dare harm our hostages do so at their own peril,” Netanyahu wrote.

Footage from the release shows massive crowds, apparently in a state of jubilation, swarming around cars transporting the hostages and around the Hamas terrorists escorting the Israelis from the vehicles.

Otzma Yehudit Party leader Itamar Ben-Gvir, a critic of the ceasefire deal who recently took his party out of the government because of it, called the display a “horror” scene demonstrating that “this is not a total victory but a total failure, in a reckless deal like no other.

The government, he continued, “could have withheld humanitarian aid, fuel, electricity and water from the bloodthirsty mob that is now trying to lynch our hostages and crushed them militarily.”

Israel has agreed to release 110 terrorists in exchange for the latest group of hostages, including Zakaria Zubeidi, Mohammad Abu Warda and Sami Jaradat, according to Channel 12.

Zubeidi led Fatah’s Al-Aqsa Martyrs Brigades in the Samaria city of Jenin and briefly escaped from Israel’s high-security Gilboa Prison in September 2021. Since Zubeidi was not convicted of murder but of other terror offenses, he will not be deported and is expected to be released back to Samaria.

The deal that Hamas and Israel initiated on Jan. 19 was for the release of more than 90 hostages for close to 2,000 Palestinian prisoners and detainees. Israel has agreed to redeploy in the Gaza Strip and allow the repopulation of the area’s north.

The first phase of the deal involves the release of 33 hostages in exchange for more than 700 Palestinian prisoners and more than 1,000 detainees over a 42-day period. Of the 33 Israel hostages on the first phase list, 10 have returned so far.

Canaan Lidor is an award-winning journalist and news correspondent at JNS. A former fighter and counterintelligence analyst in the IDF, he has over a decade of field experience covering world events, including several conflicts and terrorist attacks, as a Europe correspondent based in the Netherlands. Canaan now lives in his native Haifa, Israel, with his wife and two children.
The Dallas-based carrier has not flown to the Jewish state for over two and a half years.
The kingdom said it “reserves the right to respond at the appropriate time and place.”
David Greenfield, CEO of Met Council, told JNS that the video “has strained relationships with a lot of us in the leadership, who have tried to work in good faith with the administration.”
U.S. President Donald Trump, who sought to unseat Cassidy, stated that “his disloyalty to the man who got him elected is now a part of legend, and it’s nice to see that his political career is over.”
A 31-year-old man of Moroccan descent ran over 7 people and stabbed another in a suspected terror attack near Milan.
“This is a strategic move designed to ensure Israel’s technological superiority, accelerate development in the field of AI, and maintain Israel’s position in the first line of world powers,” according to the Prime Minister’s Office.