Newsletter
Newsletter Support JNS

Ryanair slammed for ‘landing in Palestine’ announcement

A stewardess repeatedly announced the final destination of a flight to Ben-Gurion Airport was “occupied Palestine.”

A Ryanair airliner arrives in Eilat, Nov. 9, 2015. Credit: Flash90.
A Ryanair airliner arrives in Eilat, Nov. 9, 2015. Credit: Flash90.

Irish low-cost airline Ryanair is feeling the heat after a flight attendant on a plane from Bologna, Italy, to Ben-Gurion Airport in Israel caused an uproar by announcing the aircraft was readying for “landing in Palestine.”

During last week’s flight, a stewardess repeatedly announced over the P.A. system that the final destination of the route was “occupied Palestine.”

Passengers were incensed by the attendant’s unwillingness to correct herself and were threatened with arrest after attempting to photograph her.

Ryanair subsequently apologized for the ordeal, describing it as an “innocent mistake.”

“A junior crew member on this flight from Bologna to Tel Aviv (10 June) made a routine descent [announcement] mistakenly saying ‘Palestine’ instead of ‘Tel Aviv.’ This was an innocent mistake with no intent and was immediately corrected and apologized for by the senior crew member on board,” the airline said in a statement to the London-based Jewish Chronicle.

In a subsequent letter to the Simon Wiesenthal Center, Ryanair’s CEO said he was “100% satisfied that this was an innocent mistake with no political overtones or intent.”

The Dallas-based carrier has not flown to the Jewish state for over two and a half years.
The kingdom said it “reserves the right to respond at the appropriate time and place.”
David Greenfield, CEO of Met Council, told JNS that the video “has strained relationships with a lot of us in the leadership, who have tried to work in good faith with the administration.”
U.S. President Donald Trump, who sought to unseat Cassidy, stated that “his disloyalty to the man who got him elected is now a part of legend, and it’s nice to see that his political career is over.”
A 31-year-old man of Moroccan descent ran over 7 people and stabbed another in a suspected terror attack near Milan.
“This is a strategic move designed to ensure Israel’s technological superiority, accelerate development in the field of AI, and maintain Israel’s position in the first line of world powers,” according to the Prime Minister’s Office.