Newsletter
Newsletter Support JNS

US ‘deeply troubled’ by fast-tracked Judea, Samaria construction

“The United States opposes such unilateral actions that make a two-state solution more difficult to achieve and are an obstacle to peace,” stated Matthew Miller, a State Department spokesman.

U.S State Department
The U.S. State Department. Credit: AgnosticPreachersKid via Wikimedia Commons.

The United States is “deeply troubled” by the Israeli government’s intention to plan more than 4,000 “settlement units in the West Bank,” Matthew Miller, a State Department spokesman, stated on Sunday.

“We are similarly concerned by reports of changes to Israel’s system of settlement administration that expedite the planning and approvals of settlements,” Miller added.

Earlier in the day, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu announced in a cabinet meeting that it will become easier to obtain building permits in Jewish communities in Judea and Samaria.

“The construction boom in Judea and Samaria and in all parts of our country continues,” said Bezalel Smotrich, Israeli finance minister, Sunday. “As we promised, today we are advancing the construction of thousands more new units in Judea and Samaria.”

Barbara Leaf, U.S. assistant secretary of state for Near Eastern affairs, arrived in Israel the prior day. The itinerary for her June 17 to 24 trip includes meeting in Jerusalem with “senior Israeli political and military leadership to discuss areas of mutual interest, including expanding and deepening Israel’s integration into the Middle East and constraining Iran’s destabilizing behavior,” per a State Department release.

In Ramallah, Leaf is slated to meet “senior Palestinian leaders to discuss priority issues in U.S.-Palestinian relations, including U.S. efforts to support the Palestinian people.”

Per what Miller referred to on Sunday as Washington’s longstanding policy, it opposes “such unilateral actions that make a two-state solution more difficult to achieve and are an obstacle to peace,” he stated of the planned construction.

“We call on the Government of Israel to fulfill the commitments it made in Aqaba, Jordan and Sharm El Sheikh, Egypt and return to dialogue aimed at de-escalation,” he stated.

The kingdom said it “reserves the right to respond at the appropriate time and place.”
David Greenfield, CEO of Met Council, told JNS that the video “has strained relationships with a lot of us in the leadership, who have tried to work in good faith with the administration.”
U.S. President Donald Trump, who sought to unseat Cassidy, stated that “his disloyalty to the man who got him elected is now a part of legend, and it’s nice to see that his political career is over.”
A 31-year-old man of Moroccan descent ran over 7 people and stabbed another in a suspected terror attack near Milan.
“This is a strategic move designed to ensure Israel’s technological superiority, accelerate development in the field of AI, and maintain Israel’s position in the first line of world powers,” according to the Prime Minister’s Office.
“There are certainly many possibilities; we are prepared for any scenario,” the premier said.