Israel’s Border Police announced on Sunday the mobilization of reserve companies to bolster security in city centers.
“Following the guidance of the prime minister, the Defense Ministry and the security assessment carried out by the national security minister, the police commissioner and the Border Police commander, four Border Police reserve companies will be mobilized immediately,” the Border Police said in a statement on Saturday.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu had called for the mobilization of Border Police reserves following two deadly terror attacks on Friday.
Six Border Police reserve companies are already operating in the Jerusalem sector, the area surrounding Jerusalem and in Lod, the statement said, adding that the four additional companies will join those forces.
The additional companies will increase police presence and strengthen security in “city centers and crowded areas.”
Border Police Commander Amir Cohen said on Friday that Israel was witnessing a sequence of security incidents on the northern and southern front, adding that “in Judea and Samaria, there are quite a few attempts and intentions to harm security forces and civilians during the holidays.”
“We will act decisively and with a heavy hand against all those who try to harm the normal way of life, our forces and innocent citizens,” he said.
On Friday, two deadly attacks took place within hours of each other. An Italian tourist was killed and seven other foreigners were wounded in the evening in a car-ramming in central Tel Aviv.
Earlier that day, two Israeli sisters were killed and their mother was critically wounded in a shooting in the Jordan Valley.